NEW at cooking, easy recipes?

Ok, so I am learning how to cook do you ladies have any easy recipes I can try out?

Brianna-Ravae

Asked by Brianna-Ravae at 10:35 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• when I bought my house, I decided I was gonna start cooking, not just stuff like hamburger helper or frozen meals LOL
    So I bought just about every little booklet at the check out of the grocery store that have the recipes on cards already, the tear out kind. The booklets are from Taste of Home. I like them because the recipes were submitted by normal people, not chefs. They are also simple things, quite a bit of the "semi homemade" way of cooking which is altering mixes and stuff like that. Like the recipe I have for baked chicken breasts using a salad dressing mix.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:39 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Your best bet is to get a cookbook, especially a beginner's cookbook, and follow the directions carefully. This will teach you techniques as well as recipes.
    Here's an easy one: Chili: Get a package of dry chili seasoning mix and follow the directions on it as far as adding tomatoes or tomato paste or sauce. I brown a pound of ground meat, drain off the fat or spoon off the fat, I like onions, so I cook some chopped onions in the cooked meat until the onions are soft, then add the seasoning mix and whatever tomato it calls for.

Answer by Bmat at 10:41 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Spaghetti is always an easy one.
    It's hard to declare what might be any easy recipe without knowing how well you can handle things lol. I think that lots of cooking isn't so much hard, but more involved. Stir-fry, fajitas, tacos, chili, soup, etc. I think maybe the hardest thing is learning what flavors go well and making the food your own. You should check out allrecipes.com they have great recipes and they are pretty easy, and people right their reviews of the recipes which is nice and you can see if people think it's hard and I always read what tweaks people make to the recipe if I'm not sure how to make it my own. Also If you start cooking a lot I would recommend getting the preminced garlic from the grocery store, I can never mince my garlic well enough it's cheap and it saves time.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 10:43 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Ravioli Lasagna

1 lb ground beef
    1 large jar of ragu
    1 25oz package of frozen cheese ravioli
    1 bag of shredded mozzarella cheese (the 2 cups size bag, about 8 oz)

brown the beef
    grease a 9X13 baking dish
    spread 1/3 of the sauce in the baking dish
    put a layer of the raviolis (half the package)
    another 1/3 of the sauce
    half the beef
    half the cheese
    another layer of raviolis
    the rest of the beef
    the rest of the sauce
    top with cheese

cover with aluminum foil
    bake at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes

beats the crap out of chef boyardee! LOL
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:44 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I two would recommend getting a good cookbook because they have techniques there are also books that are solely dedicated to techniques. You also may find that crockpot recipes can be your best friend.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 10:44 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Baked chicken breasts with a bottle of just about any marinade--lemon, fajita, honey dijon, Italian, and garlic come to mind--just arrange them in an over safe dish, pour marinade over and under them, bake for about 45 minutes, and presto!. Or you can bake them in a simple jar of tomato sauce, or can of creamy soup!

Heat up a can of veggies and you have a meal!

Chicken and pasta dishes are the easiest and most versatile dishes to prepare, until you get the hang of things. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:11 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• There's a cookbook from way back in the day called "The I Hate To Cook Book" by a woman named Peg Bracken. All the recipes are simple and only use things that are easily available. Plus, Peg Bracken is funny, so it's a good read in any case.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:17 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I serve this it over broccoli (and I make double the sauce).

Pasta with Finger-Licking Peanut Sauce
    1/2 cup low or no sodium vegetable broth
    1/4 cup chunky peanut butter (I use smooth)
    1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
    2 teaspoons chili paste with garlic (add to taste, it is pretty spicy)
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    8 ounces uncooked whole wheat angel hair
    1 pound firm tofu, drained and cubed (optional)
    1 cup (2-inch) sliced green onions
    1 cup shredded carrot
    Combine first 8 ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until smooth, stirring frequently (this can also be done in the microwave; use a tempered glass bowl, like Pyrex, cook for 20 seconds, stir, repeat until smooth). Remove from heat. Cook pasta in boiling water 8 minutes, omitting salt and fat. Add tofu, onions, and carrot; drai

Answer by rkoloms at 12:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• There are tons of cookbooks at the thrift shops - grab a few and look through them - you are bound to find some excellent recipes tailor made for your family. Course, there is always the online recipes too.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:54 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I would go to the library and check out some cooking books and try easy/simple recipes and try to make is look like the picture. Get books that have pictures are the best ones. If you like something that your mom cooked have her teach you that recipe or watch her when she is doing it.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 5:39 PM on Aug. 22, 2010