I am losing my cool.....

I have an almost 3 year old who does typical toddler things but lately I am getting instantly mad and screaming at him about it - we have other personal stresses / financial stresses and things going on right now, but that is not HIS fault...but I can't seem to keep it together.... the last 3 days I've screamed at the TOP of my lungs at this small helpless toddler who really, isn't doing terrible things... he's not listening and testing but nothing that deserves my level of reactions... ugh... I am just instantly losing it.. I feel like the worlds worst mommy lately...

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 10:39 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Call your doctor. When you know things aren't right, it's affecting your family, and you just aren't yourself it's probably got a lot to do with your meds. I went through something like this after I had radiation on my thyroid and my meds needed to be adjusted - the thyroid issue caused panic attacks, insomnia, and a whole lot of other problems. My daughter was about 9 at the time, and one morning I found some dirty laundry in the wrong place and I just lost it. I was screaming so loud it even scared my husband. After we got her to school I completely fell apart and my husband, who never tells me anything, said, "I think you need to call your doctor." I called into work and went straight to my doctor's office and refused to leave until someone talked to me and adjusted my meds.

I'd start with the med issue and then take some of the other advice here. Take some time for yourself - go for a walk, take a bath, etc.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:41 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I have totally been there...everyone loses it sometimes, but you have got to find a way to reduce your stress so your baby doesn't suffer...
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 10:41 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Maybe you need a mommy break. Time for yourself without him. We all need time to reset.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:41 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• you just need to calm down! take a breather instead of lashing out at your child. take your child and hold him, telling him all the wonderful things about him, and you will see that you're level of anxiety is lifting, if just for those few minutes. take advantage of the fact he is the one perfect thing in your current life, honey.
    do both of you a favor, and savor the good!!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:41 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• *your*
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:42 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Keep in mind what is really causing your stress. Also keep in mind that he is being who he is a toddler, he is not doing these things because he is out to get you.

Try walking away when you feel you are about to lose it. Try some serious one on one time with him and reassure him mommy loves him.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:42 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• FInd a friend with a kid or two and go hang out. It is easier to not be alone all the time. (especially when you are feeling overwhelmed and stressed out)
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 10:42 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I know exactly how ur feeling, and its an awful feeling to yell and scream at ur little one that has no clue whats really going on. I too yell at my kids alot and dont know how to control it very well. Sometimes I lose my voice from yelling and screaming all day. My husband says that I need to learn patience and think before yelling. But its hard, my first reaction when something doesnt go right is to yell and scream. I sometimes feel that i yell and scream bc something is bothering me and I take it out on my kids which is not the right thing to do . I hope it gets better for u
    kgmmw

Answer by kgmmw at 10:43 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Ah, you've got a long way to go to get the Worst Mommy award...

You do, however, need to spend some time and energy finding ways for YOU to re-energize and deal with the amount of stress in your body. Take a look around your life at the kinds of things that you enjoy, that take the heat off and relax you.

Nap. Sit down with your feet up. Breathe really deeply for three minutes. Have a cup of tea. Eat a piece of fruit. Walk around the outside of your house. Sit in the front yard and stare at a tree.

There's a great book, called Mother Nurture, that talks a lot about using up your energy and never renewing it...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I too feel like I could lose my voice sometimes from yelling.. this is just NOT me.. not how I am... how can someone so small and innocent work ME up so much when it is not his fault.. the other problem is that I am on Meds that I think aren't working the way they should and need to call my shrink but I still can't blame that on him.. I mean... Its like my brain just instantly goes to yell mode instead of taking that second to think OK CALM DOWN and realize its not his fault... last night I caught him spraying water on our $3000 tv... which really is our fault for leaving the water bottle out that we use when our cats go in places they shouldn't and technically Yes, he should still get in trouble but thats toddler proofing WE need to get better on too - and well, I don't have any friends let along ones with kids.. my mom and husband are my only friends. I have one girlfriend who has no kids and lives 45 minutes away-so sad...
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Aug. 20, 2010