What To Claim on W-9??

Last year I claimed 3. 1 for being single, 1 for head of household, and 1 for my son. I ended up getting back $4000. Now this year I am pregnant and half the year I have claimed 3. I just changed my withholding to 4 because I figure I have another child to claim the end of the year. Do you think I will still get a decent refund back? I'm hoping I will still get around $4000 back.

JenniFerKroeum

Asked by JenniFerKroeum at 10:39 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• you'll get a bigger tax refund if you claim 0 all the time.

my mom taught me that one.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• we claim 0 so we get more at the end o the year:)
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Wouldn't you prefer to have all of your money now, rather than let the government use your money and not pay your interest?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:49 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I don't want to struggle every week of the year just to get a big refund nor do I want to claim enough to break even at this point. I would like to claim the right amount to be financially OK all year and still get around $4000 back. It would be nice to figure out what I could claim to break even then put the money the government would have taken and put it in a savings account so it would be me making money off my money rather then the government. Thats my next goal.
    JenniFerKroeum

Comment by JenniFerKroeum (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• So claim 2 and split the difference. I agree with above though..we claim 0 and get about 8 grand back.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:39 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I agree with rkoloms' posting - why are you letting the government have YOUR $4k? Just think of the debt you could pay down during that time frame, or could invest for interest. The goal is to break even - don't get a big refund or owe a bunch at tax time.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:28 PM on Aug. 20, 2010