Did you hear about Dr. Laura?

Schlessinger used the n-word 11 times after being asked a question about mixed-race dating. Schlessinger has apologized for her outburst. But in an interview with CNN’s Larry King, she claimed her First Amendment rights were being violated because she was being widely criticized for using the term.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0810/41288.html#ixzz0x9pbmbhh

Do you feel she is correct when she says her rights are being violated? And what do you think about Palin jumping into the mix?

stacymomof2

Asked by stacymomof2 at 10:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• She needs an education as to what the 1st amendment means. she does (and did) have the right to say anything she wants. The People have the right to be offended by it and react. She has been through this MANY times with different groups protesting her show.

That's the new thing though, cry about your supposed loss of freedoms.....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:58 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• sure the first amendment allows us to say what ever we want - doesn't mean everyone won't judge us on what we say!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:50 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• - Judging her? Are you kidding- I knew she was a tool years ago. This is a purported "psychologist" who slams callers for doing the exact things that she has done in her life. Why anyone would call her for advice is beyond me. Shack up -check, divorce-check, sex before marriage-check ,pregnant before married- check, working mother-check, affair with a married man-check

HYPOCRITE- check, check, check.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:05 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• it looks like she has lost her show.--

i thought that was her decision, to end it after her contract is up. ??
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:54 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Below is the transcript of the discussion that followed the break.
    CALLER: Is it OK to say that word? Is it ever OK to say that word?
    DR. LAURA: It depends how it's said. Black guys talking to each other seem to think it's ok.
    CALLER: But you're not black, they're not black, my husband is white.
    DR. LAURA: Oh, I see, so a word is restricted to race. Got it. Can't do much about that.
    CALLER: I can't believe someone like you is on the radio spewing out the n***** word, and I hope everybody heard"

I do have to agree that a word shouldn't be restricted to race. Being white has nothing to do with it being offensive. Either a word is offensive or not.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:29 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• To be honest, I don't know why she has any callers at all, she treats them all like sh*t.

Because there is an a$$ for every seat.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:41 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I feel that I caught the tail-end of when this happened actually, and it's being taken out of context. Although I would never use the word, she was not using it and pointing it towards anyone. I believe she was refering to an African-American person calling another African-American person by that term. I maybe be remembering it wrong, but from what I got off the issue it wasn't her calling anyone by that name which would be when it would be offensive. Should not be allowed to utter the word simple because she was white even if she was only using it talking about another person using it and the other person was using it in a non-derogatory name?
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 10:55 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I don't see how criticism is violating her rights. She might feel she has the right to say those things, but everyone else also has a right to their opinion. I agree with her on some topics, but I don't agree with how abrasive and rude she often is. What does she expect from something like that? Sounds to me like she can dish it, but she can't take responsibility for it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:58 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yes, and she was being a total bitch to the caller (who has said she was extrememly offended by HOW she was handled by Dr Laura)"

Really, though...if the caller had even listened to one of her shows, she would have expected to be treated like that, lol. She's notorious for being overly harsh.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:09 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• The only thing I know about this is the tidbits I've seen on-line. I do find it pretty funny that Palin is defending her about the supposed violation of her freedom of speech.....after all, wasn't it Palin, who a couple of months ago, had a huge fit about someone using the word retard? This could make one think that where Palin is concerned, freedom of speech only applies to those she likes, agrees with or who support her Like I said though, I don't really know the whole situation in either case, just the tidbits I've picked up on-line.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:31 AM on Aug. 20, 2010