How do I help my 6 year old daughter when a student in her class is always mean to her?

M daughter is in the 2nd grade,and has been in school only 2 weeks.Already she is telling me that the little girl that sits next to her has slapped her on her leg when she didnt color something the "right" way,and that she elbowed my daughter while walking and just yesterday as my daughter was walking with her lunch tray to sit down and eat the same child told her"you cant sit here,this seats saved". I told my daughter to tell the teacher if she hits her again and explained to her that the other child was probably waiting for a friend,my daughter didnt understand that this child was just being mean,I also told her that not all the kids are nice like you so if she's mean to you just stay away from her.I have been thinking about this all morning,I know its minor but this is only 2nd grade.I feel like I have to save her from the cruel ppl in this world and I know that im not always gonna be there.Any advice would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if the other student continues to harass your dd, i'd talk to the teacher, and at the very least, have them separated.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:58 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Talk to her teacher ASAP. If she does nothing, talk to her Principle. Good luck, nothing worse than snotty little girls.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:58 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It is not minor,Im glad youre as patient as you are because the rule with me is if someone hits you,you hit them back,I wait for the day a little girl puts her hands on my daughter and gets away with it.
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 10:59 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• go talk to the teacher and principal. my daughter had one of those last year and the teacher moved the so they were all the way accross the room from each other. if that doesnt work request that they put one or the other in a different classroom, if available
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 10:59 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Actually, this isn't minor.. I would tell the school principal about it. He will take action! I would also alert her homeroom teacher so that she may keep an eye on you daughter!
    Hope this works!
    ~~Janie
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 11:00 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Talk to the teacher about separating them and keeping them separate.

It isn't your kid's job to improve the behavior of this brat, nor is it her job to keep herself safe from violence or cruelty --it's the adult in the room's job and it may surprise a lot of people to find out it is what the teacher is being paid for: enforcing the school rules.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:00 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Last year I contacted the councilor and teacher about a girl that was causing problems with my daughter. I found out that that girl had a horrible home life and was causing trouble for the entire class. But, More importantly, I found out my daughter was also a pain the ass. She was tattel telling and bossing. She had her issues too.
    Our principal always says "You don't believe everything they tell you about here, and we won't believe everything they tell you about home."
    Sometimes they tell you what they want to tell you. This is the one place that is theirs and you really can be lost about what it going on there.
    Talk to her teacher and the school councilor.

Sorry I can't spell.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:04 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Not that I am saying your daughter is causing it, I just wanted to give another option. Just communicate with the school.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:05 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Have your daughter talk to the teacher. And.. in life some people stink, that is the reality.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:17 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Who has the problem? Your child, not you. We do our children a disservice when we try to solve their problems for them.  You can be there for her, a shoulder to vent on and to cry on, but in the end if you try to step in and solve it for her she will never learn.  She's growing up!  Which also means facing hard stuff.  This is hard stuff.  You can share about when you had difficulties with friends and what you did.  You can brain storm with her and try to get her to generate some possible solutions, role play them out.  While this is "only" second grade there is a bully.  So what I would do: I would call the teacher and make her aware that I want my child to solve the issue on her own but I also want to know she/he is aware of the tension between the two.  In the mean time I would also enroll my child in an activity outside of school if I could afford to.  Many of us are never going to be popular. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2010