How do I get my teenage boy to understand good hygeine?

He is Thirteen, during school time he takes showers every other day but this summer i fight tooth and nail to get him to take one. When I talk to him he gets angry and upset. I love him and don't want him teased.

madmomof2

Asked by madmomof2 at 11:00 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• if he wont take a shower every day make sure he has good deoderant and maybe some axe spray. you could even have his doctor talkto him about it so he can undestand that there are health risks from not showering regularly,
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:02 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Tell him its required and is now part of his nighttime routine. March him in there and stand outside the door if you must.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:02 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• maybe rub his nose in it, like you would a puppy? seriously, maybe have your family doc talk to him about it, on a regular visit..sometimes another adult can get through to your teenager better than you (parent).
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:02 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Let it go and let him get teased. I promise, he will shower once that happens.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:02 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• All he'll need to do is discover girls. That did it for my boys. We quit fighting over showers about age 14. I also took them to the store to choose their scent and brand of shampoo, body wash or bar soap, deodorant, and body spray.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:08 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Not sure... my 14 yo is the same. We make him re-do whatever he did badly.

My husband sent him right back into the shower saying "and get the back of your head wet this time".
    He has bad breath and I make him rebrush his teeth a lot. Now he is starting to do a better job because he says in a nasty tone "because you will make me re-do it if I don't".

Hey if that is the only reason, then fine with me. Hopefully he will start to do a better job the first time.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 11:11 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I took my 13 year old son to the store and let him get his own soap,deodarant, he picked all kinds of axe smelly good stuff and he does use them now.lol
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 1:04 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• i had this problem to with my now 15 yr old but know you can forget that he showers everyday, make sure he looks good(not overboard) don't worry just keep reminding him slightly it will come in time I promise.
    Momofcrazy3

Answer by Momofcrazy3 at 1:22 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• yup, I do most of these and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.What really worked in the end for my now 25 yr old was ,as has been said : GIRLS.We allow our middle school boys to pick all their own shampoo ,deo,spray in their personal fave scents as do the other boys in carpool.Some mornings while driving carpool the mixed scents really wakes you up LOL at least they're clean

drfink

Answer by drfink at 2:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• You cant make him. He will get it soon. If he gets picked on it is his decision. They WILL tell him honestly "you really stink". He will have to be told by you daily, he will only have to be told by his peers once! So I say let him stink until he decides it is a problem for him. Dont allow his mess outside of his room. His smelling like an armpit wrapped in a foot will stop with his first crush. Just make sure you are supplying him with deoderant, soap, and other products.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:37 PM on Aug. 20, 2010