Have you ever asked yourself, "Why do I believe in God?", ?

I ask because by my observations there are two main reasons as to why one might believe.

The first, and by far the most common, is indoctrination. From the time babies are born their parents start indoctrinating them into their religion. This is true of all religion, I am not singling out just one. The parents talk about their God, they read to their children from their selected religious texts, and they take them along to their selected places of worship, effectively brainwashing them into believing what they want them to believe, instead of letting them find it on their own.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 11:44 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• The second reason is that people use religion, and by extension God, as a type of security blanket, because they are too weak, scared, or incapable of facing life on their own. So here is an example of what I mean. My brother in law lost his father during adolescence. He was killed during a drug store robbery gone wrong. (HIs father wasn't the thief, just an innocent bystander.) Well my brother in law was devastated, and wants so badly to have his father remain in his life. So he turned to religion. If he believes in God, than he believes in Heaven. If there is a heaven than his father is there, watching over him, and they could be reunited someday in heaven. So, believing in God helps him get through life because it gives him hope that his father is still with him, and they will be reunited. He needs that. He is too weak to face the reality that his father is gone.

my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:44 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• If you have never asked yourself this question, why not? Is it because you have been so brainwashed by your parents, and religious leaders that you have never questioned where the faith comes from? Are you willing to ask this question now, and are you ready to give yourself an honest answer? I suppose if you fall into the first group you will be hard pressed to be honest with yourself. I find that people in the second group are much more aware of themselves, and their own weaknesses.
    my2.5boys

• You assume A LOT in this question. There is a third (and probably a fourth, fifth, and sixth....) group. You make it sound as though the ONLY reasons a person would believe in God is that they are A) brainwashed or B) weak. Myself, I *kind of* fall into the first group. I was raised in a Christian home and taught from a young age about the beliefs of my parents. But I was not "brainwashed" and I DID ask myself questions about my "religion" when I was old enough to understand. I believe in God because I have all the proof around me that I need. It makes the most sense to me. While many Atheists believe that evolution (or any number of other beliefs) are the most logical, I feel that belief in God as a creator makes the most sense. Other explanations strike me as "far fetched". I've done plenty of searching on my own, and am more than confidant that there is a God - my God.

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Yes, I have..... but He always shows me why. I've never been too hard pressed to examine my beliefs and question what I have learned, or even what I have been taught. I went through a time of serious examination... for two years. Everything I had ever believed I lay on the table and picked it apart.... I tried God as I knew him. I sought answer from all who believed and didn't believe. I asked why, and I asked why not..... but then the time came when no one could answer the final question "God, are you there, if you are show me your presence"...I won't go into the long details, but I will tell you that I came out of that two years with an astounding knowing, that not only is God there, but He is greater than anything I could imagine.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:06 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Bottom line. I just feel his presence and his love for me. He has strengthen me through my many trials, removed the strongholds of the enemy in my life and i've seen lives transformed for the good. It makes sense to serve and to only try to bring Him glory in the life I live to serve Him. He is my source of joy everyday. No one can fill that gap only God. Jesus is the way and the truth and the life. He controls my emotions, thoughts, I'm filled daily with the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. I'm convicted when I do something wrong. That's the Spirit in me. So no I know He is real. WHY do people feel bad for when they do something. Becuase we know good and bad. God is good the devil is bad.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 12:12 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• And to add to your theory (or to take from it) I am neither brainwashed nor weak..... Anyone who knows me personally would testify to that fact. I am a strong woman, and I've been made strong through the refiners fire, prayer, obedience and faith. There are many intricacies in every person, and our faith in one of those intricacies, our experiences is another, our beliefs yet another and still there are more. No one can be grouped into only one of two groups... brainwashed or weak. And I don't speak of just Christianity...I speak of all beliefs in something greater than yourself.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I believe in God because the proof is all around us. We breath, see life form, we heal etc etc etc. God is everywhere and the proof is everywhere...And no I am not brainwashed or anything like that..I believe because I feel I need to in my mind and heart. God is good and all knowing!
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Why do I believe in God....because I always knew there was one. I didn't have to be taught, I just KNEW. I really didn't get introduced to my religion until I was around 5 or 6 and when my mom finally came to me with these books to teach me about God I just felt sort of confused. Because the knowledge of God was just sort of obvious. So to be taught that there were "regulations" was always confusing to me. My religion is what ultimately brought me to my suicidal depression. It was my absolute belief and knowledge of GOD that brought me to TRUTH and (back to) His/Her unwavering LOVE.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 12:29 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I asked myself that question before. Everytime I went to church I was always treated like shit, so I told myself, if these rude ass people are "followers of God" then I sure as hell don't want to be one. Thats when I stopped believing.
    Anonymous

• I was one of the people who was raised in a christian home (my father was a pastor)... however that is not why I believe in God today. Although I was raised in a christian home I walked away and practiced another religion. Today, I am a Christian and believe in God... not because of indoctrination, not because I'm weak and need a security blanket... but because in all of my searching no one but God through His Son Jesus gave me the peace, love, comfort, joy and could feel the empty space that I had inside.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 8, 2008