Bill Collector....

When dealing with a bill collector and they agree to work out a deal by cutting the debt in half and you ask them to put it in writing and fax the agreement to you....and they say, that they will do that after you first make an initial payment just so that they know you are serious about clearing up the debt. What is the proper legal way to handle this sort of agreement without getting screwed? What if i make the first payment with out getting it in writing and then they say there was never a verbal agreement to cut the debt in half.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• All conversations with the collector are recorded. If you don't trust the collector then ask to talk to the supervisor. If they lie to you, you can sue and they will loose their job, its not worth it to the collector.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:25 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Always get it in writing!!! They use this tactic to screw people all the time, only wanting to agree AFTER you pay first, thats NOT legal anymore. Always get it in writing first or ASK to speak to the manager in charge if they wopnt give you the details in writing first
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:27 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Get everything in writing and DO NOT give them access to your accounts for automatic withdrawals.

MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 11:35 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• If you're talking to them on the cell phone, check to see if yours will record the call. I discovered that recently on my phone.

If it's not in writing, it didn't happen, even if you do have the call recorded.

NEVER EVER EVER give anyone the info for auto withdrawals! And honestly, I NEVER give credit card or bank information to ANYONE that CALLS ME (they initiate the call). I have NO way to verify that they are who they say they are.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 11:41 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• And honestly, I NEVER give credit card or bank information to ANYONE that CALLS ME (they initiate the call).

If they are a debt collector, they already have your info, all of it. Even the lastest tax assessment of your house.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I'd definately ask for the Supervisor. I was a collector, they'll tell you just about anything for a payment. Plus, ALWAYS get the name of who you spoke to w/date & time and keep a note for future references. Tell them you'll pay ASAP when you get the paper work, if he wants a paymt bad enough, he shd be agreeable.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• The proper way to handle it- Tell them no money, without first getting the agreement in writing from them. Then hang up.
    They'll call back, just keep saying that to them. They'll get the hint. In the meantime start piling away the money. If you can settle this for 50 cents on the dollar, it would be better to do it in one swoop rather than in payments.

GOOD LUCK :)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• "If they are a debt collector, they already have your info, all of it. Even the lastest tax assessment of your house."

If they already have it, they won't be asking for it again.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 6:22 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Just be careful what ever you do.
    I have unplugged my phone after 5pm just not to be bothered.
    Try the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University or FPU, Classes. They give you a world of financial KNOW HOW.
    Even if you are like me and are unemployed and scared.
    There allways is a way to win and do things your way and safely.
    When things are this bad and you cant trust any of those GOONES on the phones who want your money or lack of it.
    Dont GIVE ANYONE YOUR INFORMATION.
    EVER!!!!
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 7:05 PM on Aug. 20, 2010