For mom's who've had winter baby's....

If you bought a car seat cover, did you also buy your baby a snowsuit? I never had a car seat cover when I had my son but he had a snowsuit (he was born late February). I just bought a car seat cover for my baby due in November and I was wondering how you did it? Would a warm blanket and hat be enough under the car seat cover? Thanks in advance! I want to keep my little bundle warm!

mamie2shoes

Asked by mamie2shoes at 11:35 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I loved my carseat cover. I just popped baby in wearing whatever outfit s/he was wearing. I always keep a blanket in the car for just in case, so if baby seemed cold (like when it was a 10 high and I HAD to go out) I could use it. I didn't use snow suits until they were older and were actually out in the snow.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• nope... heavy coats/snowsuits are a BIG no no in car seats, the interfere with the tightness of the harness straps. Use a blanket once baby is buckled in
    http://babyproducts.about.com/od/carseats/a/carseatcoat.htm
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I used a car seat cover or a snowsuit not both.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:37 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I wouldn't do a snowsuit only because it would be too hard to work with under the straps and all. I would do the cover or a blanket over the baby. They do get hot in the carseat with all that on.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:39 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I had a car seat cover but no, I didn't buy a snow suit. What I did was put a blanet and hat on him and he was perfectly fine.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:37 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I think if you put him in both he might sweat. I had snow suits not the blanket.

Remember babys feel what you feel. Sometimes warmer then us sometimes colder. I would just stick to the blanket as long as you can take it in and out with the baby that should be fine..
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My baby was born in late November and we just used a car seat cover, a blanket or two underneath and a hat. She didn't get a snow suit until she was 1 and front facing in her seat.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:40 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• You aren't supposed to use coats, snowsuits or anything like it under the straps anyway. I always removed that stuff when we got into the car.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:48 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My last two were born in Febuary and March. I never had one of the carseat covers but I do think they are a great idea. My sister in law bought one for her baby who was born in January. But I will tell you..don't bundle up too much when using that thing. When she would bring the baby over and I'd take her out of her seat, she would be so hot and sweaty and her little cheeks would be red. After awhile, her mama just dressed her lightly under the seat cover and she looked a whole lot more comfortable..warm but not hot. :)
    For me...I never used snow suits...one reason was because I tried putting one on my son when he was little and forget it,lol. He looked really stiff and uncomfortable, he couldnt move freely and it really made him mad. So I always just bought them little coats, dressed them in warm clothing tucked them in with a think blanket and then covered them up with a bigger blanket when going from the house to the car.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:40 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I used both. Covers are great for blocking wind and keeping a certain amount of heat in, but not meant to take the place of warm clothing. My girls were both born in Jan.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:42 AM on Aug. 20, 2010