How to get him to do #2 on the potty!?

My 24 month old has been peeing on the potty for a week now, everyday and has kept a dry diaper all day & during naptime and isnt as wet during the night, but he has yet to poop on the potty and I dont know how to get him too.

Any Ideas?

sstepph

Asked by sstepph at 11:50 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At 24 months you are incredibly lucky to have a son that is peeing in the potty let alone pooping. Most boys take til they are almost 3 before they are ready to potty train...I would give this one some time.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:54 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Just keep trying.. put him on if you see him about to try and go in his pants. Take away the diaper and do just underwear, it may help him associate the two.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:55 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• He may be too young to know when he has to go and to know how to push it out. You may be able to watch for signs that he needs to go and calmly rush him to the potty having him squat over a floor potty like the bjorn while you hold him under the arms may help teach him to push.

http://www.babybjorn.com/en/American/products/Bathroom/BABYBJORN-Potty-Chair/

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:55 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Just because he is a boy, doesn't mean he can't learn now. Geeze. My son was taught at 2.5 in 4 days. It can happen.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:56 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I would just be happy that he's peeing in the potty and deal with the poopy diapers for now. At least that's saving you money since he's not using one every time he pees

is he the type that you can see it in his face that's he's about to poop? If you can tell he's about to, go sit him on the potty quickly
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:58 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yes, you can tell when he needs to go, lol. I should try that. I was trying to explain to him but thats kinda of hard...
    sstepph

Comment by sstepph (original poster) at 12:02 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My son was 2 when we got him to pee in the potty- yeah!!!! but he absolutely refused to go #2 unless we had a diaper on him. We left the diaper off for a couple of days and he held it.... the kid had to be miserable. He'd cry and beg for the diaper to be put back on. I talked to his PA who I work for and she recommended using glycerin suppositories. At the time my sister babysat him. She put one in and it came right back out and he was screaming bloody murder. She inserted the second suppository and yeah he went #2 on the big potty. We never had an issue after that because he didn't want the "butt medicine" to be used ever again.
    Nindy

Answer by Nindy at 12:10 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Not to worry. My pediatrion said, the brain has to connect with the body function to realize he has to go and then he start to know what to do. Boys are some times a little harder than girls too.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• my son is the same way kind of. hes 21 months and has been pee trained for a month now. hes only in underwear all the time but still poops in his underwear 50% of the time. he does sometimes go in the potty, but rarely. he went a week with going in the potty and i thought we were done with it, now he poops in his underwear all the time again. i wish i knew what to tell ya, i guess your not alone is all i can say haha. but i would go straight to underwear, especially if hes doing so well peeing. my son doesnt do a pee dance, but a poo dance haha. he starts running in place when he has to go, and he runs to the potty but usually has gone by then. he hates going in the potty, i think it scares him. keep at it though, hopefully it wont take long. and dont let anyone tell you that boys cant potty train until they are 3, thats just crazy in my opinion.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 2:25 PM on Aug. 20, 2010