Do you see school like kids learning, or just skipping--

out of house chores. yes, they are interacting, and yes, in so many ways they are well rounded, ....oh and of course they are going - to - get - life - skills. And don't forget so much time they are in there is adding up to a good work record in later life. But I don't get where this helps them become good in a family structure, since all 19 - or now 20 children all help out in the Duggar family. We are entirely getting too much education and no common sense kindness in family life.

coffeeyum

Asked by coffeeyum at 11:56 AM on Aug. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I kinda see where you are coming from. I think there should be a balance. But, most people work all damn day and then they hadd so much crap that kids have to learn at school to pass it's crazy. I wish I only had to work a little and school was a bit different. I can see where one could learn at home through life experiences and have things at school that can't be taught correctly at home, like some of the Sciences, Math or Foreign languages.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:59 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I disagree. I think the stuff you learn at home AND at school enables you to move on and have your own life. I think the focus should be more on the individual and not on the family as a whole. In the Duggar's case,those kids should not be responsible for their PARENT"S choice to have 19 kids.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I disagree.....
    It is universally true that you can NEVER have TOO MUCH education. Holy cow......
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Well, in the adult world, we have to balance work and home. Teaching kids to balance work and home will teach them how to take care of themselves when they are out on their own.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:03 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• This is true, butterflyblue 19 they are in a huge way taking over the roles as the parents (would) , I would like to see the show be more of how the parents are doing things together other than their weight-loss program though. With that many children , stress puts on weight, but the only shows we've viewed are the amish visit, the horseback ride, and their dad going on a parade in town. I am sure they do more but he's probably busy working. Those children are not responsible for this ! That is a great point. My question is maybe not as clear as I'd liked it to be. In the home, I see children get catered to and then just expect it more and more, it's a dilemma , and i wonder where it branches off to them really being ""part of not------ catered to""
    coffeeyum

Comment by coffeeyum (original poster) at 12:08 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Our high school has courses such as financial wellness etc that help kids learn to manage money. I think common sense is very important...but I also think we as parents should be instilling this into our kids...you can't put everything at the feet of the educators. Parents are getting lazy these days. I am old school, when I see punks in the street I blame the parents. Keep your kid busy, know where they are and who the are with. I was a single mom working 2 jobs and going to night school, but made damn sure my kids were cared for and kept out of trouble.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:21 PM on Aug. 20, 2010