Anybody's children had Fifth's disease?

My 4 year old broke out in a 102 fever on Wed. & woke up with a rash this morning. I took her to the Dr. and they said this is what she has. She said it was contagious! Has anyone's children passed it on to anyone else? How long did it take for the rash to go away?

saysmom

Asked by saysmom at 12:00 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• From what I remember the rash clears up in a couple of days but can come back when the child is out in the sun or just gets a little too warm. It is not contagious if/when the rash re-occurs.

My dd had it years ago. We think my oldest had it but were never really sure but DH got it. Man, he was the worst of the lot.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:04 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My 2 kids had it last year and passed it to 3 of their cousins. By the time they have the rash they are no longer contagious. The rash lasts about a month as best Ican remember.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My son had Fifths Disease when he was in preschool. It is contagious but among children the worst to expect is what your son is experiencing. Adults who have never been exposed may also experience muscle aches and joint pain and the symptoms will most likely last longer. The highest risk is to pregnant women. (I happened to be pregnant when my son contracted it.)

I'd give it a week and he should be fine.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 12:08 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Just googled it and it says the rash can last 1-3 weeks which was about what my two had it for. If you are pregnant they can do a test I had to have one when my two had it. Everything should be fine.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:12 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My daughter had it when she was in 1st grade. Her symptoms were simliar to what your daughter had. She had the classic "look like she's been slapped" rash and a fever. She was put on Atarax for the itching. The rash went away in a few days and nobody else caught it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:28 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My 2nd DD just had it in May - it went around our school a bit. DS got it from her, but a lot more mild. It's NOT dangerous to other kids, but it IS dangerous to pregnanty women. It's contagious BEFORE the rash comes about - so a kid passes it around before they know they have it - which is why it's a pain in the rear! There IS a blood test than can check for it, but IMO it's not worth it (unless you're pregnant or may have exposed a pregnant woman). DD's rash lasted for a week or so, DS's for only a couple of days. One child in our school who had it had it off & on for over a month - and they were told by their doc that it can take months to be totally gone, a child can break out for up to 3-4 months without being re-exposed.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 2:18 PM on Aug. 20, 2010