My DD is almost seven weeks old and I'm worried that she hasn't pooped in a couple days. Should I get her in?

She's gassy, but she just hasn't had a poopy diaper in a couple days and I'm worried.

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 12:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Bottle or breast...that will let me know what advice to give.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• breast milk
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I would call the Doc and just ask for his opinion they may not need to see you.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 12:12 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It is normal for a breastfed baby to skip days without pooping. However, the gassiness sounds like you may have eaten something that her belly didn't like.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• As long as she isn't straining or really acting up over the poop, I wouldn't worry.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:17 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It is normal for a breastfed baby to go a week or more without a bowel movement.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I would worry any way, imagine you not pooping in a couple of days. That is painful when the time comes and the baby lets it out try to avoid that. It happens to alot of baby's.

I would call the peditrian usually they can guide you on what to give the baby.

Good luck!! I would not let it go though also check to see if the baby's belly is really hard, if it is then it is backed up. Poop is toxic people don't realize that. :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I just called her doc. She said it was okay for her to not poop in a while, but if it's been more than a week than to bring her in. Thanks everyone.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• After about 6 weeks of age, it is completely NORMAL and SAFE for EBF babies to poop anywhere from several times a day, to once every 15-20 days, AS LONG AS the stool is not dry, hard or pellet like. I know it sounds insane, but it's true. I didn't know this with my daughter, and per the pedi's advice, gave her suppositories every 2-3 days. Live and learn, as they say, and when my son was born, after those first few weeks of almost constant poop, he was an every 8th day pooper, almost like clockwork.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:26 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Take her to see her doctor.
    xpandyourmind

Answer by xpandyourmind at 12:34 PM on Aug. 20, 2010