Carseat question.

We have an Evenflo Triumph Advance carseat, and we're getting ready to go on a long trip (6.5 hour drive for us) and I feel more comfortable turning our 24 month old to RF. And I was wondering where we should put it. Right now its FF in the center. Should we keep it in the center or put it on the right or left side door. We have a Nissan Maxima. I will probably end up at some point in the back seat with him when he gets fussy or bored, since DH drives. And I do have more room when he is on one of the sides.

But just wondering which is more safe? Middle or side?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• safest statistically is center, if you can get it installed correctly there
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:25 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Most likely the center, but all my babies are grown.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:29 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• The center is safest.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• The problem with putting him in a RF seat is that his legs will hit the back of the seat, this might be very unconfortable for him. You might try FF steat for a few hours, them when it's time to nap, turn the seat over. When we took on 8 hour tip, we made sure to take lots of bathroom breaks. One every two hours. It gives your baby time to stretch and walk around.
    xpandyourmind

Answer by xpandyourmind at 12:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• You should put it where you can get the best install. You should also read both the car seat manual and the manual for the car so that if the center install doesn't work you can make sure that the outboard positions would be okay in regards to bracing the car seat up against the front seats of the car. I don't have an evenflo so I am not sure what the manual says. Best of luck to you and I hope you have a safe trip.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• The safest place is the center. The second safest place is behind the driver's seat. One of the nice things about putting it on the sides is that you can connect it with the LATCH system, which makes installation a breeze. I think the important thing is that he is in a carseat that is installed properly - which you are already doing.

If you put him on the side and don't have tinted windows, I might suggest getting those window shades so he doesn't get sunburned on the long trip.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:37 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I agree that you should go with the spot where you can get the best install. The center may be statistically safer, but that's assuming the seat is installed well.

Don't worry about the legs being bent in the rear-facing position. I have a strong feeling that most kids actually prefer to sit snugged up. And it's perfectly safe for older kids, from what I've read.

Kudos to you for turning your child back rear-facing. It reduces the risk of death in a serious crash. I hope you'll consider keeping the seat that way until your child reaches the height and weight limits for the seat.
    barefootbooks

Answer by barefootbooks at 4:05 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• We just went cross country from Virginia to Montana and back with our 14 month old - many hours in the car - and he's actually done much better travelling in general since he's gone to front facing - he's much more interactive in the car with us and considering we had some 8 hour days of traveling - he did very well, we keep it behind the passenger seat, but that's what works best with our car.
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 4:42 PM on Aug. 20, 2010