My 8 month old seems to only like fruits! (besides carrots & squash) Help!

My 8 month old son has about 21 ounces (6 tubs of Stage 2) babyfood and 20-25 ounces of formula a day, and a lot of days he'll have a biter-biscuit for a snack. He's a healthy 21 pounds, so I don't really think I'm over or under-feeding him.

Anyway, the problem is that he is SO picky! He will eat the babyfood squash, carrots, applesauce, apples & cherries, apples & blueberries, peaches, peach cobbler, and pears. He gags when I try to give him any new vegetables & especially on the babyfood meats. I feel like all he eats is fruits! How in the world do I get him started liking more things so that we can try tablefood? ((sidenote-- he has no teeth yet))

heather.huckaby

Asked by heather.huckaby at 11:50 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in General Parenting

• I didnt feed my baby baby food. I blended fresh organic food so I am not sure about the baby food types. But Jaymus loved sweet potates I would put a bit of brown sugar in them and he ate and ate them once fell asleep tryin to still eat :) lol also blend speghetti in a blender noodles sauce and meat and feed it to your baby the blender was my best friend :) Hope that helps. ( Have you ever tasted the packed baby food eww I wouldnt eat it..either..lol)
    SarahWalker

Answer by SarahWalker at 12:07 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Sounds like some little baby as a sweet tooth! :) Have you tried taking away fruit and giving him only green veggies for a few days? My theory is that he'll get hungry enough to not hold out for the sweet stuff, and then you can balance his intake after that to incluce a sweet fruit or orange veggie once he's broken the "sweet only" streak he's on.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:29 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• my kids ate whatever we ate for dinner, I just put theirs in the blender and they liked it a lot better then the jar baby foods.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• you can deffinatly try tiny bits of cut up table food. I say cut out all fruits until he starts eating his veggies again.
    kristinlimon

Answer by kristinlimon at 3:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Blend the veggies with the fruits - peas and pears. I never gave my kids baby food meat - it is so disgusting. It really has nothing to do with what they will actually eat when they start real food. Don't worry about it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:50 PM on Oct. 10, 2008