Dry flaky Skin on a 10 day old?

My son is 10 days old i have been giving him sponge baths and the skin on his hands and on his arms and chest are all flaky and peeling off. I was wondering what i could do to get this to stop. Thank you for any suggestions that u have

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe its excema (sp?)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• He just needs to get all that old skin off. You can use baby oil or a baby moisturizer but honestly it has to go. (the skin) That is..
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Nothing. It happens to all babies. They were floating in water for 9 months.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• just use plenty of lotion..this happened to my dd after she left the nicu..i was worried but invested in a nice bottle of baby lotion..it went away in about a week or so...congrats momma!
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 12:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yes it is normal. All babies do it. Keep him moisturized. It will go away soon. :D Congrats!!!

stweshjali

Answer by stweshjali at 12:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• thank you very much ladies.
    ashley451985

Answer by ashley451985 at 12:51 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My daughter had this really bad. She was 10 days late. Regular lotions and creams didn't do the job. Aquaphor healing ointment worked fantastic! She also has very sensitive skin and would serious diaper rashes while teething and this was the only cream that would work for that as well! the stuff was a god send for me!
    0Aubreys0Mommy0

Answer by 0Aubreys0Mommy0 at 12:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I used baby oil gel on my youngest daughter when she had this issue and put it on 3-4 times a day, it worked for her--oh, and vasoline.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 12:57 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Babies do tend to peel, but commercial baby soaps, oils and lotions are VERY drying. Sponge bathe with plain water and if you must put on something use a pure oil like olive, coconut, or shea butter; pure aloe is nice too (avoid the ones that have "alcohol" in the ingredients). If you read a lot of labels like that Johnson and Johnson crud...its a chemical cocktail. Not at ALL good for the skin. No vaseline! It's a petroleum product and does NOT let the skin breathe.

My baby had very little peeling, but that was mainly because I didn't wash off the vernix. I let it rub in to protect and moisturize the skin.

FYI be prepared for the baby acne that will come soon if its going to occur at all. That is from your hormones. It looks horrible, but the best thing to do is to leave it alone.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I agree with amileegirl. I used coconut oil on my daughter for what little peeling she had. It worked great. I'm a coconut oil addict though, there's not much I don't think it works great for ; )
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 1:52 PM on Aug. 20, 2010