Anyone know how much burial plots cost?

Ballpark? We're in WI. We're trying to preplan my grandma's funeral with zero money available. We're going to have a fight on our hands with who will be paying for it. I'm pushing for a showing and memorial with cremation to keep the cost down to a dull roar,but the family wants burial. I have no idea where they think the $10,000 plus is going to come from. I looked at a site that said at least $4000 for the plot itself. Sigh. Imminent death brings out the beast in everyone!

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 12:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• It really does depend on the cemetery and the location inside the cemetery as well. For instance, when we were looking for a burial location for our son, we were offered 2 hill-side plots at a buy-one-get-one-free rate and they were originally $1500 a piece. The easier to walk to plots were more like $2500-$3000 a piece. You also have to get estimates on the actual digging which is usually expensive and some cemeteries have requirements for the type of head/foot stones you must use.

Best wishes to you and your family!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:57 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• it all depends on the location, location, location. you could call up the funeral director's office to get a better idea, as they would know what the various 'locations' in your area charge.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:52 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Why would you be the hook for paying for your grandmother's funeral? The cost should be paid for by her estate (or sale thereof)! Burial plots vary---unfortunately it's like real estate...location is everything!! If anything, those who want a significant wake and funeral should be the ones to pay for it. Those opposed to it should not feel they are obligated. Those opposed could offer to have everyone come to their house afterward to relax.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:54 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My husband buried his mother for around 10,000 but that was back in '98...odds are good that is probably on the low end of costs anymore.

Cremation is more budget-friendly but if you do services and such you will pay a bit more.

My husband is very ill and I looked up cremation prices for him(he wants that not burial)and it was gonna be anywhere from $500-$1500 depending on where I went for the services. Burial at those same places I looked up in our area were anywhere from $2500 on up but that was just the service not the casket costs and all that other jazz.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:57 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• We just purchased a two space inside mausaleum space everything included for $11000. We also purchased a six plot burial estate with one monument included for $40000. The other person was correct. It is very dependent on location.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:57 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Have you checked into if your grandmother has anything sent up when she does die and what is paid for. I have stuff like that sent up with my job and when I do pass away pretty much everything will be paid for. Mine you I work in a grocery store.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 12:59 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• you are def right about family drama when someone has passed or is about too..it was the same way with my grandma..here in nc they are about 300-500 and thats for a decent place..but believe me they make up for it with the actual services..nothing final under 10,000..
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 12:53 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• We bought ours about 12 years ago - it was around $5K then...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• She has absolutely zilch in funds to pay for her final expenses. We're running into the issue of "if I pay for it I should get to choose the way its done" and everyone is split between cremation and burial.

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• What does she want? Is her husband still alive? If not where is he buried. Most spouses want something similar for both and to be buried next to each other.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 1:34 PM on Aug. 20, 2010