How can I get my son to go potty at home?

My son is 3 years old and just started at a new day care that's very much into potty training...which the old day care was not. So now we are all trying to get on the same page. He does great at school, he has no problem going. However, when we get home he wants nothing at all to do with it. He fights me to go anywhere near the toilet. I'm at a loss for why his attitude is so different and I'm not sure what to do to get him to potty at home. Any suggestions?

MyBoyAndrew

Asked by MyBoyAndrew at 1:04 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• does he still wear pull-ups? if he does, switch to underwear. i'm gunna worn ya, it's gunna be messy for a short time, but it works. plus, does he have his own potty? i got this thing that goes on our toilet and it helped. and make a chart, something like a chore chart, everytime he goes potty, you put a sticker on it, and deside in advance how many he needs for a specail treat. theirs was a slushy from 7 11. hope this helps.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 2:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Find out the exact process at the daycare. What incentives, if any, they use etc. Copy it at home.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:32 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• usually daycares take them potty every so many hours. As a cna when we are getting the elderly on a toileting schedule it's every 2 hours. Kids usually use the toilet first in am, around meals. I kept track when my son would go and look for a pattern.

Honestly my son had to go with reg. undies or he'd just pee the pull up cuz he knew he could. they gotta feel the pee and poop and be grossed out to move on to the toilet. I stayed home mostly for 2 weeks just to train. But if I did go to a store he kept the undies on-we did have an accident right in produce-peed all over so I just cleaned it up myself (paper towels, sanitation stuff, stuff to clean him in the car, clean my hands and new clothes) embarassing sure, but the kid just wanted to learn the hard way so I had to suck it up. Also before we went out I'd take him potty or remind him at play groups/parties-lets go potty now to limit accidents.
    cattiesmom78

Answer by cattiesmom78 at 5:58 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• At school he has the peer pressure to pee in the pot.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:31 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• bump
    san78

Answer by san78 at 9:28 AM on Aug. 22, 2010