Is it okay to tan during pregnancy?

goober09

Asked by goober09 at 1:17 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No its not okay to tan during before or after pregnancy
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 1:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• my doc told me that I shouldnt
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 1:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Not a good idea
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Using a tanning bed is NEVER okay...pregnant or not!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Okay thanks I wasn't sure because friends have told me I could
    goober09

Comment by goober09 (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Tanning while pregnant increases the risks for the unborn child to be miscarried or develop spinal problems.

A tanning bed and the sun each give off ultraviolet rays. These rays are known to decrease the levels of folic acid, which aids in the development of an unborn child’s neural tube.

Also, tanning beds and traditional sunbathing is often done in hot weather. The heat causes the body temperature of a tanner to rise. Since tanners using a tanning bed are laying directly on top of the ultraviolet lamps it creates a hotter environment. When the body of a pregnant woman becomes overheated, especially in the first trimester, it is possible for her unborn child to develop a spinal problem.

With all that is known about tanning beds and outdoor sunbathing it is difficult to imagine why a pregnant woman would want to put herself and her unborn child at risk.
    SAHM_USAF

Answer by SAHM_USAF at 1:29 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• No. And not cause the bed, or anything to do with the rays or anything will affect you. Its the heat. You can overheat. And when you get hot, you get extra hot inside and can harm your little one cause they get too hot as well :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:29 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Just saw your reply... yeah don't listen to your friends lol.
    SAHM_USAF

Answer by SAHM_USAF at 1:30 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• if you are out side (taking walks letting out pets sitting with kids while they play )dont stay out to long (heat stroke) but a tanning bed no way.
    puresouthern

Answer by puresouthern at 1:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• its not the best idea.u shouldnt stay out to long if you do.the doc will tell you the same
    michelle34231

Answer by michelle34231 at 2:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2010