Food for an 8 month old

He's been eating baby food since 4 months and he's eating stage 2 baby food now. He eats about 3- 4 oz jars of baby food a day. He drinks 6 oz of formula about every 3-4 hours. When should I start to make a change and to what should I change his diet too?

jen.ritterbel

Asked by jen.ritterbel at 1:21 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Whenever you feel hes ready to change. My son started refusing baby food at 7 months so we switched totally to solids. He ate what i ate. I started with stuff like banana, avocado, sweet potato, bread, small bits of chicken and stuff like that when he was 6 months and started snatching off my plate. At 7 months when we switched, he ate what we ate (obviously no tough steak, hard things like raw veggies, or salad).
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Change his diet to table food now. There is never a need to do jars or purees. Check out Baby Led Solids

Mealshare. Anything you eat baby can eat with obvious exceptions like whole grapes and hard nuts and super spicy suicide food.

To make it easier on you, you can start with naturally soft foods like avocado, sweet potato, banana.

At 10 1/2 months my baby can handle a whole banana, and gums mango to death -- but we did baby led solids from the get go. No compulsery spoon feeding or purees.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My favorite was frozen veggies and pasta. I'd boil them extra long so they were nice and mushy when he first started eating them. I'd do it once a week or so and keep a container in the fridge and then just pull out a little bit and microwave for a few seconds whenever I needed it. I tried to do whole wheat or multigrain pastas when I could, but it was also good to do regular pasta to vary the shapes and types of veggies to always give him new textures and shapes to try to pick up.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Check out my baby led weaning journals. I journaled what Camryn ate from 7 months when we started table food till 11 months. Lots of good starter ideas there....
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 2:18 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I've always done plate share with my child and just puree his food sine he was about 4mo. Now he's 6 mo and I am starting to make him foods more solid and try my best to give him a wide variety of foods. (still following the 4 day rule)
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 3:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My DD is also 8 months old. I have started putting the food I make for DH and I in the food processor (as long as it is not too spicy) and let her eat what we eat. When its spicy I give her baby food still. This way she even eat steak with us
    MommyScapardine

Answer by MommyScapardine at 5:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2010