Need to make my grocery money go a mile

I live off of food stamps that me and my son get. We only get $268 a month. and i devote $68 just to my son, to make sure that he is covered for the whole month until my food stamps roll over again. So that leaves me with $200 to feed me and my boyfriend for the month. I need some ideas and stuff for meals. Last month the food only lasted 2 weeks, and i had to beg and borrow money from my family to get more food. Even if i can make it 3 weeks on the food stamps thats better than like the two last month. We get ground beef for 99cents a pound, so i buy alot of that. I guess i need ideas for stuff to make with ground beef. I got the basic, spaggetti, golash, hamburger helper, meatloaf. but what else. thank you very much.

mybabychunk

Asked by mybabychunk at 12:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Dried beans are cheap, healthy and yummy too. I buy a big bag of pinto beans and let them simmer all day on the stove; you can eat them over rice. Plus, it makes enough to eat on for a couple of days.
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 12:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• hamburger casserole: hamburger, lasagne noodles or egg noodles, big can of tomato sauce, mushrooms & onions if you want, velveeta or american cheese slices. You boil the noodles, brown the burger with whatever seasonings you like, add the mushrooms and onions to the burger. Then you either layer the meat with the lasagne noodles, or mix it with egg noodles. Put it in a 13x9 pan, put cheese slices over the top, then pour the tomato sauce over the whole thing. Bake at 350 or 375 for 45-60 minutes, depending on your oven. It's delicious.
    I also make taco mac & cheese: I brown the burger, add taco seasoning, boil the elbows, add burger to pasta, add velveeta cheese, salsa, and some crushed tortilla chips. It's really good too.
    Then there's burgers, you can change them up with bacon, different cheeses, serve them with different sides.
    Hope that helps!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:47 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I had another thought for you. Breakfast tacos!
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 1:15 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Like a previous poster said, beans! Buy dried beans, and you can make refried beans, beans over rice, ham and beans, chili, etc.

Stock up on rice and pasta...those are cheap too. When you use hamburger, use less than what you'd normally use. For example, if you would normally use 1 pound of hamburger in spaghetti or chili, etc, try using 1/2 pound, this will make the meat go further.

Don't buy convenience foods, it's usually going to be cheaper to make your own...instead of spending $1 or whatever on Hamburger Helper, buy a box of mac and cheese for less, and make your own hamburger helper.

As unhealthy as they are, hot dogs are cheap too. Usually chicken legs and thighs are cheap.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 1:26 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• How about a big pot of soup? There are lots of recipes on the internet...that could last a few days with a vegetable or salad and bread.

Peanut butter and jelly

oatmeal in the morning

rice and pasta
    1funkymomma

Answer by 1funkymomma at 3:06 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Beef (or Turkey) Barley Stew so healthy and good! Pasta is a great source of protein, too.

1 lb lean ground beef (can substitute ground turkey)
    2/3 cup of barley, rinsed
    2 cans Veg-All
    24 oz V-8 or tomato juice
    1 medium potato, peeled and cut in to ½” cubes
    24 oz water
    1 tsp Italian seasonings
    ½ tsp pepper
    Add other seasonings to taste, such as salt, garlic, parsley

Ground beef in small stock pot. Drain grease. Add other ingredients and simmer til barley is cooked, about 45 minutes.
    ChefCornelia

Answer by ChefCornelia at 3:48 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• where are you shopping??? there are place you can go that you can get a weeks woth of food for 50$ albertsons is expensive, so is qfc, safeway, and fred meyer! if you have a winco go there!!!!! you will be amazed at the difference and if you have a walmart go there
    babykins362003

Answer by babykins362003 at 7:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• and if you qualify for food stamps get wic also
    babykins362003

Answer by babykins362003 at 7:41 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• if you have left overs just freeze them...we freeze spegetti sauce when we make it because there is always a lot left over. if we dont have much to eat in the house then i just get out that bag of sauce and presto. all i have to do is make noodles.
    bennysmom519

Answer by bennysmom519 at 8:02 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I live in Utah, but we have this amazing man called "The Grocery Guru" (cheesy, I know), but he has a website: http://www.utahcityguide.com/new/guru/index.asp He does ads and coupons and stuff here, and plans out a whole menu for the week, and tells you the best places to go shopping that week. He says you can feed a family for under $50 a week. Check out his website. It is set up for Utah, but he is a really great guy, and if you sent him a message, he would probably give you an idea on how to do his program in your state. :) Good luck!!!

Also... have you tried once a month cooking? That might help too.
    adoptivemommy24

Answer by adoptivemommy24 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 9, 2008