Tears of joy or tears of sadness? Maybe a little of both?

Okay, I feel horrible, but I am so excited for DD to be going to school. They start on Monday and both kids will finally have the same schedule. I feel guilty for not being upset about it, but rather more excited than anything. She is bored at home and did well in preschool (three days a week last year), but now she will have a bigger class, more friends, learn more, have the same schedule as DS (this is only important to me). I think if I have tears come Monday, they will be tears of joy. I love my kids to pieces, but it just feels like it's time, KWIM?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 1:43 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i wasn't devastated..it just made me realize, again, how quickly our time is passing. my ds's first day of kgarten was yesterday, and i did ok. today, however, as i pulled the car away, the tears came so quickly! delayed reaction?? idk..i just hope i enjoy and take full advantage of every moment of his life that i am lucky and blessed to be a part of. my 'first boys' (nephews who i helped raise) are college seniors now, and wow..has it been a great ride!!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:53 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Honestly I have no idea what you mean. Not that there is anything wrong with us feeling opposite. My oldest starts kindergarten on the 1st and I could not be more devastated. I wish that I could keep her home for forever. I know that I am going to cry and I am going to try to avoid crying at all in front of her. It just seems like the end of her being at home with me. She is getting way too big too fast and I would rather she never went to school. Obviously that is not reality but it just all makes me really sad.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• to me tears of joy and sadness. my daughter is in her 3rd week of kindergarten and always been at home with me.its a big change and adjust me for her and for me in some ways
    alyssa1

Answer by alyssa1 at 2:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I think that it is great that you are excited for you. I am sure that in general it is mixed emotion but i do not think you should feel guilty in the least. She is just growing up and is going to flourish in a new environment, expand her horizons and learn new things what is not to be excited about, really? It is amazing how differently we all feel. I have a friend that is excited as well and we kind of talk through our emotions and they are so different. That just what makes us us. I hope that she has a great first day of school and loves it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I get where you are coming from and that's why I feel a little guilty for feeling the way I do. I think it's mostly because she is bored at home and doesn't like to learn from me. She likes to spend time drawing and doing art, but she needs more than I can give her here (more than she is willing to accept from me). She did great in preschool, but I think she was probably ready for 5 days a week even though I only had her in for 3. I might have mixed emotions on Monday, but right now I am just excited for her.

QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Wow, dull, that was really beautifully said. That actually brought a tear to my eyes. Thanks, I think I needed that.

QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Aug. 20, 2010