so what would you have done?

this morning I was out on my porch, I noticed across the street that the daughter of my older neighbor was struggling with her on the steps....at the same time she asked for help and I asked her if she needed help. The older woman has dementia and quit trying to carry herself and walk down the steps. After one way of trying to get her back on the porch, I recommended the firemans pull and she did that as I lifted her legs to help with the weight. She was near 200 lbs of dead weight. I wasn't thinking of anything other than getting this poor old woman up on the porch and safely into a chair.

what would you have done? Would you have helped or pretended not to hear the lady ask for help? Would you have done all that you could, or insisted on calling someone else or the medics?

xtwilightx

Asked by xtwilightx at 1:54 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would have offered and tried to help, and called for assistance if needed. You did the right thing, our world needs more people like you!!
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 1:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I probably would have tried to help.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 1:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I definitely would have helped to get the lady onto the porch. Hopefully, when I'm not able to care for myself, someone will be willing to help me like that.
    momtochelhawk

Answer by momtochelhawk at 1:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I would have went over and helped.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 1:57 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• holy crap, i would've helped!! i was at my parents house once when my dad (age 85) fell, and i tell ya, when they are old and get disoriented, even if they aren't real heavy, dead weight is dead weight! i couldn't do it myself, so i had to call someone to come help me.
    i wish someone would always be thereto help (neighbor, etc.) when they fall..unfortunately, that's not always the case.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:00 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I would help... My mom's husband has dementia.. My dad cheated on her when they were married with tons of women. Then she met her 2nd husband he was a wonderful person.. They had 15 good years before he got sick.. It's a heart breaking condition :0(
    Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 2:01 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I would have helped, and hope if I need help, someone would help me.You did your good deed for that day.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 2:14 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• i definately would have helped. i would hope that if i needed help, someone would help me.
    kzoogirlie

Answer by kzoogirlie at 2:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• here i am 5'2 and 112 lbs. lol i just wish i could have gotten that adrenaline surge so that i could have lifted her up a lot easier. i would hope that more people would have done what i did. and it truly put some things into perspective for me...sad ones that i don't want to think about with my own parents. thanks ladies for the replies.
    xtwilightx

Comment by xtwilightx (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I would try to help.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 2:51 PM on Aug. 20, 2010