Do you agree with President Obama on this?

VINEYARD HAVEN, Mass. - The Obama administration is asking that the only person convicted for the 1988 bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 be returned to a Scottish prison.

John Brennan, President Barack Obama's counterterrorism adviser, told reporters Friday the U.S. has "expressed our strong conviction" to Libyan officials that Abdel Baset Al-Megrahi (AHB'-dehl BAH'-seht AH'-lee ahl-meh-GRAH'-hee) should not remain free.

Al-Megrahi was ordered in 2001 to serve 27 years in prison for the bombing over Lockerbie, Scotland, but was freed on Aug. 20 of last year on compassionate grounds. He was said to suffer from cancer and had just months to live.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 2:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, I do. Somewhere in Hell, it's snowing right now.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:14 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Surprisingly, YES! But then I think an investigation needs to be conducted as to WHY he was released in the first place!! He was responsible for KILLING 270 PEOPLE!!! Who the fark cares if he died a slow and agonizing death?!?!?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:13 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• He is a mass murderer and never should have been released in the first place. In fact, I read last week that he doesn't even have cancer. Interesting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yes. I do! But I also think there should be further investigation as to why he was released!! THAT was criminal TOO!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:08 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I agree with President Obama.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Nope, he was released. Can't say: oops, bring 'em back! Unless he broke his parole (or whatever the uk calls it)
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:08 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• He was released on humane grounds supposedly. Since he's obviously outlived the 3 months they claimed he had left live I say yes he needs to go back to jail.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 2:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I agree that he never should have been released, however this really makes me wonder why he is asking. It's not as if we have any pull in the situation, so why?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:14 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yes, I do.

Answer by older at 2:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Scotland allows for compassionate release. They are a sovereign nation. He was released, we can't shout: do over!! And require Scotland to charge into Libya and say: give him back. We can't even demand an investigation as he wasn't charged in International Court or US court. It is strictly a PR move on the part of our government. We should bitch at Scotland for the move.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_imprisonment
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:28 PM on Aug. 20, 2010