How much does an adoption cost?

In about 5-6 years from now, my husband and I are going to be looking to adopt a child from foster care. I was wondering what the cost of a foster care adoption runs people. I found a site but I wanted to find out what real people, real moms are spending to adopt a child.

mrsjksimmons

Asked by mrsjksimmons at 2:17 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Adoption

• Both my fost/adopts were free~in fact they insist on paying for everything. The home study, the classes, free social worker services, all the filing fees, child's lawyer paid for, county council to help with social workers recommendations. Then the tax break for 3 years if you have a special needs adoption. The child gets free medical coverage until 18. Funds available to special tests or services (like for shaken baby, FAE or FAS evaluations, extra speech or tutoring).

I started fostering way before I was ready to adopt. I just wanted to mother and it was a job I could do at home, help support families in crisis (caring for someone's newborn while a birth mom works on her stuff is a noble job~to give without expecting "own" someone's child....real lessons on giving without condition).
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:12 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Adopting through foster care in my state is supposed to be free. The state covers all of the legal fees.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 2:18 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It varies from state to state, and the type of adoption process and such..
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:21 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• not sure, but we are thinkingabout having one morebaby and then we mightadopt one child. A few years from now
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:21 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Thank you for your input ladies. The website said some states are free but others you have to pay legal fees. I was just wondering the experiences of you ladies personally.
    mrsjksimmons

Comment by mrsjksimmons (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• What state are you in? In CA we are actually paid post adoption through foster care, and all fees were covered. Our daughter has dual insurance coverage, will be eligible for scholarships too all through the foster care/adopt system. Message me if you want to ask more questions or have any thing you want to discuss more privately. :)
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 2:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It depends on the state. In some states, foster adoption is free. In others, it costs a nominal fee.
    ARgal

Answer by ARgal at 4:10 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Even if you adopt through foster care and have fees to pay - you end up with a tax credit. Which means that when the adoption is finalized any fees that you paid go toward the tax credit. Many of my friends who have done fost/adopt have had social services assist with the finances until the adoption is finalized. So there was a check to help pay for food, clothing, utilities, and other expenses. Including being covered under Medicaid for health insurance until the adoption was finalized.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:25 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My mom adopted in CA and had to pay legal fees. A few thousand.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:14 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• A friend of mine who lived in Colorado and adopted from Missouri paid $30,000 in legal fees, classes, medical coverage for the mother...
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 3:07 PM on Aug. 23, 2010