Medical Question REGARDING b12 levels.... I had some blood work and my B12 Levels are extremely low - My doc gave me a b12 shot and i have to go for 3 more weeks. Then I need to give my self the injections for the rest of my life - I thought having a low b12 is curable????? does anyone know anything about this???

TaylorBuz

Asked by TaylorBuz at 12:14 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Health

• It has to do with how your body absorbs food and the neutrients from them... And no you can't change it. You can however make sure you are eating foods rich in B12... That will help some but won't fix the problem. You could also look in to liquid vitamins. They are usually available at vitamin or health food stores and your body can absorb more from them than the pills because they are already liquified... But it may be an alternative to injections.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:07 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Eat lots and lots of spinach/greens to help/.
    Anonymous

• B12 deficiency can come from a few different things, some you can get thru, some not.

*If you are eating a poor diet, or are a vegetarian, changing your diet and adding supplements might help you, but you'll need careful monitoring and should see a nutritionist.

*If your trouble is that you are taking meds for reflux, stop taking the meds and chances are you will recover, but it does take a l-o-n-g time.

*If you have too little acid in your stomach, this can be treated and may result in being able to take oral supplements again.

*If your trouble is malabsorption from something like Celiac Disease, then treating the Celiac's (or reason for malabsorption) may help, but depending on the damage you may still have to take your injections.

*If you have the autoimmune condition Pernicious Anemia, you are stuck on injections for the rest of your life.

EllenSchnak

Answer by EllenSchnak at 3:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• its a life long thing. not curable but manageable my grandmother has it. she was diagnosed with it in 99. she doesnt do the shots tho the takes pills for it... like 8 a day... 4 in the morning and 4 at night.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:24 PM on Oct. 8, 2008