Should we pull out all together?

LAWRENCE, Mass. – A majority of Americans see no end in sight in Afghanistan, and nearly six in 10 oppose the nine-year-old war as President Barack Obama sends tens of thousands more troops to the fight, according to a new Associated Press-GfK poll.

With just over 10 weeks before nationwide elections that could define the remainder of Obama's first term, only 38 percent say they support his expanded war effort in Afghanistan — a drop from 46 percent in March. Just 19 percent expect the situation to improve during the next year, while 29 percent think it will get worse. Some 49 percent think it will remain the same.

The numbers could be ominous for the president and his Democratic Party, already feeling the heat for high unemployment, a slow economic recovery and a $1.3 trillion federal deficit. Strong dissent — 58 percent oppose the war

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 2:29 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• 1. The title made me giggle like Beavis and Butthead.
    2. No. Read The kite Runner. It is very insightful look into how the US has completely let down Afganistan and allowed the Taliban to take over all in the name of securing our trade ports, from the personal experience and torture of young people.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 3:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I've never understood all of the people living in the US who are 'sick of the war'.

They aren't there. A vast majority have no family members who are in the military. Their only knowledge of the true cost of this war is what the media tells them ~ and the media has spun quite a fairy tale (I'm trying to be nice). Most who live here are incredibly spoiled and ignorant about 'war' and what it really is.

Those who ARE military know why we are there, and what the cost is. I don't know anyone who 'likes' this war (or any war), but they do understand why we are there and why we can't just 'bring the troops home'.

The only thing I really have to say is that if you don't like war, don't join the military ~ and be thankful that you live in a country that lets you make that choice ~ and which still has people who care enough to do the job so that you can live safely in spite of your complaints.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:13 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I believe that our soldiers ( my DH) are doing well, and that I would love for this to be over, but it is not as simle as just walking away!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:03 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I'm not the right person to ask but I will say that people are sick of war and also do not understand the dynamics of pulling out safely. We really need to leave that up to the Generals who are able to make the best & safest decisions on this matter.... I personally rallied against the war when Bush sent the first troops over to Iraq. Afghanistan is no different, but pulling out has to be methodical and timed right for all involved.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 2:42 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It would be interesting to see what voting districts he is sending troops overseas from.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Mommom, I do care. Very much. I'd like nothing more than for my son to stay at home and live to see his own children grow up, get married, etc.

When I said that most people in this country are spoiled and unaware, I was speaking about those who have NEVER experienced war and it's hardships, and those who have not done a thing to ensure that others won't.

My family is military ~ and has been for generations. Those that haven't been in the military have been cops, EMS, firefighters, etc. (except for the one that was on the FBI's most wanted list for over 15 years). My 'world' has ALWAYS been involved with those who do what they can to help others and/or keep others from harm.

A perfect world wouldn't have war (or many other things), but that doesn't mean that no one should step up to try and alleviate or fix what is wrong ... because there is a lot that is wrong.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 5:10 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yes pull out. Nothing will be solved, now or a year from now. And farmlady, yes every American should care if were at war or not. You can walk around with blinders on if you like, and not care what happens around you as long as your not involved. Besides thinking it's unnecessary violence that will get us nowhere, we are spending everyone's tax dollars on this war, so we all get a voice.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 3:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• We either need to listen to our Generals and leaders who are over there and give them what they request so that we can get something accomplished over there (instead of calling them names and mocking them. Or, we need to get out of there. Our soldiers over there are sitting ducks for the most part, spread too thin and not even equipment and security. They are restricted from what they can and can't do and instead of being led by military men who understand war and its strategies, they are led by beurocrats and people who have no idea what it takes to make progress. I don't think this war will ever be won because it's a holy war, and the same war has been going on since Cain and Abel. So no, we'll never "win", but we should get the country where it can defend and support itself and get out. It should have been done a LONG time ago.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 4:28 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I agree with those who don't like war. I don't like war. My DH has been to that sandbox. My DS has been there 3 times and is headed back.

People should be able to talk things out reasonably. That's rational and logical ~ war is neither.

Unfortunately, there are people who aren't rational or logical. There are people who if left unchecked will always take advantage of others and/or abuse others. Rational and logical people don't allow that to happen because they know that eventually even they will be subject to the hate and abuse of those who only live to be that way.

Iraq may not have posed an immediate threat to the US, but Saddam posed an immediate threat to his people ~ and we MADE Saddam. Granted, he was scum to start, but we augmented what he was and we were responsible.

The Taliban is everything but logical or rational.

Just because some of us are capable doesn't mean that others are ... or wish to be.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 5:05 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• 1) Again, war is costly- in terms of money, time, lives and resources. 2) We can no longer afford to be the world's keeper- perhaps China and India can take over that role. 3) How many countries are we going to wage war with in the ME- what is the exact reason for that region and those folks? 4) Many complain about the possibility of Sharia Law being introduced by extremists here- what is the difference between that happening and the US stomping all over the ME? Why should they conform to our way of thinking, living, ideologies? 5) Where is the human to human respect, and live and let live? 6) Why must everyone be like us? 7) Secure the borders and bring the troops. 8) Respect others and their borders. 9) Learn how to get along. 10) Let's see if extending respect will lead to respect given in return.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2010