I can not get my daughter to sleep in her own bed. What do I do?

She is 2 yrs old and has been sleepping in our bed sinse she was about 4 months old. She is my first baby and it just seemed easier at the time. Now I need to break this horrible habit that I started. I try to put her in her bed to sleep. She screams and cries for a little bit. Normally I wouldn't give in if we had our own house, but we live in an apartment building where you can hear everything adn our neighbors below us complain to the landlord about everything, so I guess I am just looking for suggestions.

MamaOFMyah

Asked by MamaOFMyah at 2:35 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would rock her to sleep or however you usually do it, and then put her in her bed when she falls asleep. when she wakes back up, put her back to sleep and put her back in her bed. Eventually she will get used to sleeping in her bed, and your going to have to let her cry at some point.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:37 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• How long is she crying. My daughter does it for 5 minutes or so depending on how tired she is. I think it would be really nasty of your neighbors to complain about it. I mean she is 2 and 2 year olds do things like that.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 2:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My daughter is 4 and I put her in her own bed at the beginning of the night, but she always ends up in our bed. I'm watching for answers with you ;)
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 2:42 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• She will cry until I let her in my bed. She climbs out of her bed and just jumps into ours. I tell her to go back into her bed.

Thats what I have been trying to do. I let her fall asleep with me then I put her into her bed. ABout 2 or 3 in the AM. He feel her climbing into ours. I have tried closing doors. She knows how to open them. I feel like she's walking al lover us adn thats def what I don't want.

I know it's a nasty thing to do but they do it. Out cat jumps off the bed and they go tell the landlord that were stomping. lol They clearly have nothing better to do.
    MamaOFMyah

Comment by MamaOFMyah (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Just keep taking her back in her room and put her in her bed. The first time you take her in there tell her "i love you good night" If she gets out again just take her in there and dont say anything. I know its alot of work but I promise you she will get the idea
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 5:22 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Why is it a horrible habit? Co-sleeping has many benefits for your child and for you. I assure you, she will not be sleeping with you forever.. it's not like she's going to come home from prom and crawl into bed with you. I practiced "attachment parenting" when my son was young. He slept in my bed until he was almost 5, at which point he independently decided he wanted to sleep in his bedroom (which up til this point was mostly used as a playroom which happened to have a bed in it). He never asked to sleep in my room again. Now, at almost 18 years old, my very independent, self-assured, intelligent and compassionate son is the most amazing human being I have ever met. Whatever inconvenience her presence has in your bed right now is so worth it in the long run!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 9:59 PM on Aug. 20, 2010