I am expecting another baby. How is my 2 yr old daughter going to respond to this?

I am expecting and am due Feb 21. She goes to ultrasounds and feels moms belly all the time.

MamaOFMyah

Asked by MamaOFMyah at 2:37 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think it depends on how you tell her and how excited you make her about it. Turn it into a really great thing, "You're going to have a baby brother or sister! It's going to be wonderful!" Make sure
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 2:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I'm due February 16, my daughter will be 2 December 29th. All we can really do is wait and see. More likely everything will be wonderful.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 2:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My daughter was 2 when I had my second child. She didin't really understand what was going on, she really didn't notice the new baby until now... Gracie is 10 months old and beginning to walk.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 2:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Some regress on potty training. Some wet the bed. Some become clingy. Some don't want to share a parent or both parents. Some have tantrums. Some start acting like a baby again for attention. Some are just fine with the new sibling.

It all depends on your child.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 2:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Sorry, accidentally pressed "answer." Make sure she hears lots of celebration about the baby. See if you can get her to help pick out baby items. Make her a big part of the process, and it will excite her. :)
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 2:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• She will be fine! You just have to include her in things. My oldest was 21 months old when I had my 2nd, we took her to all the doctor appointments and she was the first one to hold her sister after mommy and daddy. We made it into a big deal that she was a big sister! I also would ask her to help with little things like grabbing a diaper for me or "watching" sissy while I went to the bathroom ( the baby was in her crib so no harm could come to her) just little things. But you also need to make 1 on 1 time for the big sister too. Make sure you take time out to spend a little time with just her, read her a book or give her a bath, just talking on the couch can make a big difference, you don't want her to feel left out or replaced by baby. Everything will work out great! Congrats on the new baby!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 2:43 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Thanks for all the comments. I do take her to all doctors appt and she loves ultrasounds. She seems really exxcited. I just hop eit all stays the same when the baby is actually here. Again. Thank you.
    MamaOFMyah

Comment by MamaOFMyah (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My daughter was 2 when my son was born, and she responded a lot better than she thought we would. We talked to her a lot about the upcoming baby while I was pregnant, and bought a book called "I'm a Big Sister," that really seemed to help prepare her. When we brought my son home from the hospital, we gave her a gift that we said was from him. We may sure to still give her lots of one-on-one time and praised her anytime she wanted to help out with the baby. My son just turned a year old, and they love to play together now.
    jilby

Answer by jilby at 3:02 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• my son was 2 year and 7 months when my baby was born and he did great :) mostly, he just seems not to care much but he also will talk to his baby brother, show him his toys, lightly "tickle" his belly. he'll talk about sharing toys when baby gets older (we'll see!)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I think it will be ok. We just talked to my daughter about it. And after the baby was born we made sure that she still got lots of attention.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 9:45 PM on Aug. 20, 2010