Should we not get her?

My husband and I were suppose to get our step daughter today, It's been 2 weeks since we've seen her (we live in different states) Court order says we get her every 2 weeks. Her mother asked if she could stay for one of her friends (mothers friends) baby's first birthday party. We didn't have any big plans with my step daughter, just cooking her favorite meal (tacos). No big plans, but family time is big enough to me. Now the mother says she isn't getting off work till 6pm.. add 30 mins. to that to get stepdaughter and things ready to come meet us.. its a 2 hour drive there.. and 2 hour drive home. Should we just cancel this weekend and get her next weekend? What would you do.

MKSers

Asked by MKSers at 2:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ask your step daughter (if she over 5) make sure she knows you want her but you'll take her next weekend if she would rather go to the party.
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 3:10 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I would get her this weekend and not cancel.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 2:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I would get her this weekend. The mom will keep doing this if u let her get away with it. This stuff can be planned on her weekend.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:41 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Maybe ak the mom if he would be up to switching weekends. If she is unwilling to switch, then go get her, don't give up time.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 2:41 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I wouldn't cancel getting her all together. Maybe find out what time the party is and work around that. Get her after the party is over. Even if it's a long drive.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 2:41 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yea, you have to be flexible...see what your SD wants to do. Taking her this weekend might cause beef between you and her mom, and she will suffer fr it. Not to mention, she will always side with her mom.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 2:42 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I think you should plan on getting her this weekend. I think that a person could tent to make up excuses and plans just to keep her little ones around. Although you know the situation much more then us. If you think it is a one time deal then maybe you make an exception and ask to switch weekends. Otherwise I really think that sticking to the schedule is best.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I wouldnt cancel.
    tnbjbeams444

Answer by tnbjbeams444 at 2:52 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I'd get her, things happen.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:57 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• id switch around weekends..or ask her what she wants to do..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 7:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2010