Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you get custody of your children? adult content

Do you know what I have to do?
What paper do I have to fill out?
IS it better that I have a lawyer?
Do you know any pro-bono lawyers?
Do you have to have lots of money to get your children?
Please any ideas I need help!


Asked by agriffinmom4 at 2:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 18 (4,874 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • If you can prove that there father is doing drugs then they can come back to you until you go to court. No matter how much money doesn't matter to a judge what is best for the children is what matters to the judge. I would be on this right away with drugs involved the children could be in danger not to scare you momma or anything. I hate to see children in this kind of situations whoevers children they are. Your children didn't ask for this.

    Answer by raemommy at 3:03 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

  • if you already have them living with you, then you would file a motion with family court to address the matter. It is NOT guaranteed that they will remain in your care, the judge will place the children with whomever is the best parent. A lawyer is a good idea- you may qualify for legal aide.

    If you do not have them living with you, then you have a huge battle on your hands, and you should already be shopping for a lawyer.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:53 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

  • call family court

    Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:53 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

  • Hiring a VERY good lawyer is normally the best start. You need to be able to show that you can provide adequate support for the children on your own. Having a place to live, beds, food, clothes, transportation, and health insurance is how ya prove that. There aren't many pro bono lawyers these days, and you want to make sure the lawyer is educated and has a good track record in winning cases.

    Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:58 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

  • First thing is first, you need to go to your local family court (usually at the courthouse, but maybe a completely different building in a big city) and file a motion for temporary physical custody. This is like a race, because whoever files first, gets the kids until a family court hearing (which can take months) They can give you all the info you need at family court. Good Luck! Oh, and you have to go first thing in the morning to do this because they usually have court around 10 am.

    Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 2:53 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

  • Having a lawyer is a good idea but it's not something you have to do. Go to the family court office and tell them that you want to get custody of your children. Who has your children right now?

    Answer by raemommy at 2:54 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

  • Their crack head father.... cause his family has butt loads of money :(

    Comment by agriffinmom4 (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

  • He is refusing to allow them to come see me recently cause I went out and saw his daughters cause he wouldnt bring the kids to see them. So I did. Was that really wrong of me? I mean for six years I raised his kids too and thought that it would be nice to go out and see them too.

    Comment by agriffinmom4 (original poster) at 3:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2010