My baby is now 6 wks. and each night, at 7pm she freaks out! This fussy phase lasts around 1 1/2 hrs. each evening. Doesn't seem like anything I do makes her calm down. Help!

I have tried changing our routine, infant massage, a second bath, singing softly, quiet room, nursing, snuggling etc...

rpahlka

Asked by rpahlka at 12:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby is about the same age, I find if I take her for a walk and then rub her out well before her bath and make the bath long and then rub her out again and Then only feed her it tires her out, and once she falls asleep I let her sleep in my arms till she's fast fast asleep before puttin her down :) doesn't always work but then I look her in the eyes and talk to her lol can help too Good Luck!
    luschram

Answer by luschram at 12:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My oldest daughter did the exact same thing, I thought I would loose my mind, everyone had different ideas and we tried them all the only thing that seemed to work for her was to have her father not I, who was already a basket case ( and my daughter probably sensed this) take my daughter outside for a different change of scenery and he would carry her around on her tummy (kinda like letting her straddle his arm) just in case it was tummy trouble. We just had to let the phase pass and try to keep our sanity during the mean time. Hope this kinda helps.
    4plus1more

Answer by 4plus1more at 12:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Sounds like it may be colic. My kids never had that so I'm sorry I can't be of too much help. I know it can be rough but it does get better. Have you called your pediatrician? They can check her out to make sure everything's ok and maybe give you some ideas on soothing her. Good luck!
    PnMMom

Answer by PnMMom at 12:29 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Sorry about ur dilemma. Its really hard for us to have our LO's cry and not be able to soothe them. My first son was just like your dd. Every evening around 5pm he would start screaming and he wouldn't stop until about 9 or 10 p. That was so awful! After about 2weeks of this he was diagnosed w/ colic. However there IS hope 4 you and your sanity! lol. Go to the store ( walmart, cvs, riteaid) and buy Hyland brand Colic Tablets. They are tiny little white pills that disolve instantly on ur baby's tongue. They r 100% natural and have no side affects. They calmed our fussy baby instantly! As a matter of fact we have used them for all of our boys since and we will use them w/ this baby too.(due next month). They r even safe for newborns. My Pediatrician is the one who told me about them and they r not even sure y they work so well b/c the natural ingred. in them are in minute doses.
    mommyof5boys543

Answer by mommyof5boys543 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• also try this - a hot water bottle over her belly that has been wrapped in a towel, take her outside, try gripe water which is also really good for fussy babies. But most importantly - don't allow her to be overstimulated during the day or to get overly tired. Once we started to limit the different people holding our son and limiting his exposure to loud and/or very visual disturbances, he startes to improve on his own. Good luck and don't worry this won't last too long!
    mommyof5boys543

Answer by mommyof5boys543 at 12:39 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• comletely normal. by daughter would be a little witch at 7 until she went to bed. we called it the bewitching hour.eventually she quits it.
    CAarmywife

Answer by CAarmywife at 12:45 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• my son is 2 months old today!! But i found his fussy time is after his late after noon nap... around 5 or so he gets fussy, i put him his swing and hes instantly calm... Work 98% of the time... as long as all his needs are met, he does a 360 as soon as he goes in his swing.
    NickysMomma888

Answer by NickysMomma888 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• It is very normal for babies to be fussy in the evening.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Sounds like everything I have heard about colic. Good luck!
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 1:29 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• mine did the same thing and his hour was 5:00...you just have to find a routine and go around it...for instance; i always had him take his nap like 3-5pm if possible...it worked
    mom2bboy

Answer by mom2bboy at 1:40 PM on Oct. 8, 2008