Do you think that TTC while being on FS, TANF, Medcaid, & WIC is abusing the system?

I'm not sure if this is the right section to ask this question but I'll ask it anyway.

How do you feel about someone who is on Food Stamps, Medicaid, TANF and WIC Trying To Concieve? Do you feel that it's abusing the system?

I have some friends who can't afford to pay their rent. Their family helps them out with ALL of their bills. She is a SAHM. They are on FS, Medicaid, TANF, and WIC. They are having a hard time and I understand that. I NEVER discriminate against someone for NEEDING help.

My problem is, yesterday she told me that her and her DH are TTC. She is PLANNING to use medicaid when she gets pregnant. I guess I just have a problem with my tax dollars going to pay for a PLANNED baby. She could go to school or work so that their finacial situation is better and THEN have a baby.

Why do I have to pay for her kids that she keeps having just because? Am I the only one who feels this is abusing the system?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with you. Except for the WIC part because you don't have to be "poor" to receive it and it is healthy and I think formula is so expensive because of WIC so, I don't mind that part but, the rest yea she is abusing the system. We are eligible for food stamps but, because I am pregnant w/ a surprise I absolutely will not go get food stamps.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:30 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• yes
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:30 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I think if people can't take care of themselves that they shouldn't be having kids. But WIC is different. Where I live WIC is based on how much you make, the less you make, the more they help you, the more you make the less they help you. So, in my case theres no way to really "abuse the system" with WIC, if you make too much they just won't give it to you, end of story.
    Anonymous

• I think that even with WIC it's abusing the system because whether she's planning to formula feed or breastfeed they're still going to be giving her something for free. She's going to be adding another child to her WIC account and she'll get more free stuff.

To the OP- Yes it's abuse.
    Anonymous

• Yes, it is
    Its also selfish and totally reflective of how people today take NO responsibility for their own actions and their reprecusions on others
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:44 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Your right, if they are having that much trouble financially they shouldn't be trying to get pregnant. She should find a job and when they get more stable then go for it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:46 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• We pay for worse things like a 700 billion dollar bail out. Welfare and other programs are such a small percent of the budget. But its used to play people against each other. Im a working mother and I couldn't get WIC or assistance if I tried. But I would rather my money go to an american family than a CEO to go on vacation.
    Anonymous

• Why try and bring more children into a world you live in poverty? Why not focus on bettering whatever situation is ailing you financially and THEN be thinking of children once they can be supported by the parents and not the government. This is definitely abuse of the system. In our state thank God they have stopped paying more welfare for having more children.
    Anonymous

• To the 7th poster....

I think there is a difference between it going to a family who needs it and a family who is TTC and planning to get more bennefts on it. They are expecting the government to pay for their child.

Plus WIC spent over 6 billion dollars on formula last year alone!

Op...yes they are abusing the system.
    Anonymous

• Yes they are abusing the system. If she is a SAHM and they are struggling she needs to get a job. She can work opposite shifts of her husband. She should be trying to take care of the kid or kids she has and make sure they are fed before bringing another poor child into the world.
    Anonymous