How can I get my 5 month old to sleep through the night again?

He was sleeping throught he night since he was 8 weeks old and now he wakes up like clockwork at 12:30 and 5:30 EXTREMELY hungry!!!! I don't know what to do :*(

lje323

Asked by lje323 at 3:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He is growing.

Answer by louise2 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• my son changed times he got up for 2 years straight, he would sleep all night then a month later be getting up 3 times a night. like louise said he's a growing boy.
    travisnowensmom

Answer by travisnowensmom at 4:25 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• He is going through a growth spurt. Just be patient b/c in a week or two he will be back to sleeping through the night.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:30 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Babies change sleep pattens regularly. It is normal
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 4:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Just feed him. YOU cannot make him sleep, you can only provide conditions conducive to it. Only two wakeups a night is DAMNED good.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My son slept through the night from 2 weeks old to 4 months old. That is when his teeth aparently started growing and he has been up since then, every night, almost every hour for the last two months! If your son is hungry, you must feed him and just try to keep the room quiet and dark and hopefully it will pass soon. There is a lot going on with their little bodies and it is not unusual for this to happen. My second son went through the same thing and sleeps like a champ! Hang in there!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 6:22 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• If you are giving him baby cereal, give him a little before he goes to bed
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 6:36 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Thank you everyone for your help. He started solids about 2 weeks ago so I didn't know if that had something to do with it or not. I also did not know if something was wrong because he was sleeping so well for a long time and then he was not. Thanks again though I appreciate it :)
    lje323

Comment by lje323 (original poster) at 7:57 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Growth spurt feed him. Cereal is the worst food, if you are going to do solids give real table food like avocado, sweetpotato, squash. First, 5 hours is considered a "sleep through". The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we clock watch.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Remember babies do not digest solids well at all, they do not have the digestive maturity and they don't have much of the enzymes int heir gut to break down carbohydrates like cereal which is why its not a good food for them despite is common usage. As a matter of fact, it can cause night wakings and MORE hunger because it takes the place of formula/breastmilk. When the body craves a nutrient, it will remain hungry until it gets it DESPITE having something in the stomach which can't be digested to extract the needed nutrient.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:43 PM on Aug. 20, 2010