Do you shop at Aldi?

I saw Aldi supermarkets on Unwrapped last night and checked their website...one just opened up a mile and a half from my house. i want to check them out this weekend. Do you shop there? How are they?

Octobersmom

Asked by Octobersmom at 12:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I shop at Aldi's all the time, and love it. I like bagging my own stuff (the bags are never too heavy that way!), and I can get everything I need for between 25% and 50% less than I can anywhere else. DH loves the brand of coffee they sell, and I like that they always have milk for $1.99. Be advised, though, they only take cash or debit/EBT. No checks or credit cards. And yes, their lines can be long at times, but the savings are worth it to me.
    BearsMommy

Answer by BearsMommy at 3:10 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I shop there once a week for certain items that are good quality and a lot cheaper than regular stores. Butter-$2.19 a lb, cheese 8oz sliced--$2.09 8oz block-$1.99 sour cream, .99 for 16 0z container, canned veggies chili beans and diced tomatoes .45 a can stuff like that. Plus I buy my spoiled rotten horses' apples, carrots and oatmeal-(YEAH $1.79 for a big box of old fashioned oats) there, plus their generic Cheerios for $1.59 a box. I am a really picky eater and shopper, so I will not buy all my groceries there, but those things I named , I do buy there once a week, and I do reccomend Aldi esp if you are on a tight budget.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 12:51 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I use to when I lived near one. They are great on prices. Sometimes the lines are really long though to check out. And don't forget to bring bags because you bag your own things (check out they ring you up and you have to put your stuff back in your cart real quick and go to a station or your car to pack things). My hubby and me usually went together so everything moved along a little faster.
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 12:32 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I loved Aldi when we lived in Chicago. They have great prices if you are a person that likes to buy in bulk. Like ladykiki said bring your own bag and make sure you have a quarter or two for their carts. They have great food for the price!
    awife1life3kids

Answer by awife1life3kids at 12:35 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• We have a fairly new one close to us. I Love it. They sell a lot of off-brand merchandise but it's very good. We buy many of our canned goods there. You may want to buy a couple things and try them out to see if they're to your liking. Also if you can find out when they get their produce in, they usually have great prices on that stuff too.
    Have fun!
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 12:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I dont shop there anymore they are not that much cheaper in my area then the stuff on sale in the grocery stores.
    traci1972

Answer by traci1972 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I go there sometimes...Its okay..they are starting to carry alot of brand names now too...I think that you really do save money there..you can get $100 worth of grocery for like $60-$70 dollars at Aldi...try it and see if u like it...
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• They are AMAZING in my area. They're owned by a German company, so that's why their prices are so low =] We shop there every other week and have cut our grocery bill in half as opposed to shopping at Wal-Mart.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:57 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• they have one here in tiffin.
    tracy20

Answer by tracy20 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• i like going to aldi's we go there once a month and buy bread and anything else we can freeze their bread is good and cheap...
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 1:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2008