my dogs eye looks bad after a spider bite yesterday I need advice?

my dog (white german shepherd) was I think bit by a black widow spider yesterday after vet hours we called a 24 hour pet hotline and they told us to give him some aspirin and allergy meds to stop his very bad swelling. He was bitten on the nose where it meets the face and his lower jaw and neck was swollen really bad and his eye was red and draining. Today the swelling has gone down alot and he is acting better (wants to play) however his eye is dark brown with a red hint and clouding to it, while his normal eye is bright and its usual yellow color. our normal affordable vet is closed today and his eye dose not seem to hurt him although he will rub it occasionally. I was wondering if I should take him to another vet that might cost an arm and leg or if he can wait tomorrow.

ami226

Asked by ami226 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Pets

• I would take him in today just to be sure. My friend lost her little guy (dog) due to a brown recluse bite that went undiagnosed... Good luck to you and your fur baby
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• yay I got a hold of my vet and he said that is sounds like my dog has damage to his eye from the bite but since he is normal and not suffering (breathing, eating, drinking and wanting to play) from the bite anymore he will be ok and he will look at the eye tomorrow to see what the damage is thanks for your advice
    ami226

Answer by ami226 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• well keep us in the loop. I am an animal lover....sure hope he gets to feeling better soon.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:26 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Hi - You can give another dosage of Benadryl for the swelling - give 25 to 50 mgs....depends on your dog's weight...If you are not sure of the dosage ( e-mail me and I will help)

Don't worry - YOUR dog will pull thru this:  You will want to see the vet tomorrow because of possible secondary infection.  YOU may need some antibiotics.

BEST Wishes / Marie Peppers LPN MA ( All Experts.com)

http://www.apluspetcare.com/untitled4.html

the Doggie Chalet Hotel

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 9:20 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• thank you! we just got back from the vet today. He said that he does not think it was a spider but maybe a bee sting (there was a spider black widow on his dog house so that was why I thought it was that its dead now) his eye some how got scratched and now has an ulcer and he gave me some meds to put on it every four hours till tuesday follow up, If it does not get worse it should go back normal with maybe alittle scaring. Thanks again
    ami226

Answer by ami226 at 10:27 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• YEAH!!! happy to hear it will be a speedy recovery and nothing to painful or serious...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 11:16 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• great news....glad to hear it...

Marie

The doggie chalet //// hotel

http://www.apluspetcare.com

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 2:17 PM on Oct. 9, 2008