Have you ever made crab-apple jelly?

Okay so I'm taking my first shot at this jelly. And have a few questions.
1. what does it taste like (I am planning on equal parts sugar to juice)
2. Do I need to use pectin? I am finding conflicting recipes. Some say they are naturally high enough in pectin and others say add fruit pectin.
3. I am draining through cheese cloth. Does it need to drain overnight?

hotrodmomma

Asked by hotrodmomma at 3:36 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Although apple peels do contain a lot of natural pectin, I always add some to make sure it gels properly. I love crab apple jelly. Just haven't seen any good crab apples in a long time. LOL. As for draining, don't leave it to sit over night. Your risk of bacteria increases. I tie a knot in my jelly towels eith the corners, in your case cheese cloth, slip the handle of wooden spoon through it to use as a handle for twisting. Twist the spoon in a fashion to tighten the cloth into a ball, sqeezing out all the liquid. Then, discard all your pulp & use your juice.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 3:57 PM on Aug. 20, 2010