Classes after divorce

I was told that my soon to be ex and i will have to take some kind of classes after our divorce...like parents of divorced children classes. Can anyone offer any insight to this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• It's a 2 session class that basically tells you not to fight in front of the kids, treat the other parent with respect, don't drag the child into the fight...Blah, blah...

Really it's a way to get money for the state. The things that they tell you not to do, some will do anyway regardless of the class. We had 30 days after the divorce was final to have it completed or be held in contempt.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Who told you that?

Answer by louise2 at 3:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• louise2...in most states, it's required that the parents take Child First classes.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:41 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Well I guess back in 1986 in Washington State they did not have those classes. Or that state does not do that. So your saying the court makes you take a parenting class and makes you pay for it? That is stupid.

Answer by louise2 at 3:45 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yep...In Illinois it's $125 total for the classes. AND the parents cannot be in the same class...which I can understand if they cannot get along.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Whoops hit the anon, LOL
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My ex and i had to take a parenting class prior to the divorce being final (Ohio). We went together, LOL. They talk about what not to do, how to help the kids through the transition, etc. It cost us each $75, it was a 3-hour deal one time.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:48 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• We had to take a coparenting class before we were given our divorce. It wasnt all bad, but I thought a lot of it was common sense. Ours was $50/person and a 4 hour class.
    kimbob2284

Answer by kimbob2284 at 3:51 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I have never heard of it.Is that somrthing the judge orders?
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 5:37 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• i have done the paretins classes .and i lreaned alot so will you and your ex
    ladybug36519

Answer by ladybug36519 at 4:40 PM on Aug. 21, 2010