milk

My DD is on 1% milk and won't drink it unless it has chocolate in it. She is on WIC (just got on it last month) and all she can get is 1%. we were on 2% after her second year appt when the pedi told us to put her on 2%. Should I go to WIC and tell them she won't drink the milk? She has had two sippy cup of milk this week. She's been drinking water down juice or water but she needs to drink milk and no chocolate milk! what should I do?

Kimora_neko

Asked by Kimora_neko at 3:42 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Actually, no one HAS to drink milk if they get it in other forma of dairy or they eat plenty veggies.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:43 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• if you want her to drink the milk, give it to her and don't cave and give her something else that she likes better. she will eventually get the message.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 3:44 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Opt for cheeses rather than the milk. You can supplement vitamin d.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:45 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My dd won't drink milk either...I WISH she would at least drink it with strawberry or chocolate in it, that would be nice. I still try to give her a cup a day....and every day its a waste.
    If you figure it out, let me know.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• she eats veggies but she always asks for coco milk and if we try to get her to drink normal milk she throws her cup but the moment we put coco in it she'll drink it. when she was on 2% she hardly ever asked for chocolate
    Kimora_neko

Comment by Kimora_neko (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• She actually doesn't HAVE to drink milk. She can get the calcium from green veggies and low fat cottage cheese or yogurt, the protien from meats and other dairy, vitamin D from other sources such as the sun.

If you just really WANT her to drink milk for some reason then wean her off of the chocolate....slowly put less and less syrup. OR switch to a chocolate nutrition powder such as ovaltine. It still has lots of sugar but it's also loaded with vitamins and then wean her from that.

Another idea is to try adding a puree banana to it or strawberries to flavor the milk but it would be LOADS healthier than the chocolate.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 3:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• xtwilightx- the problem is when my dad comes over or when we see him, he'll give her whatever she wants because he's grandpa and as he says "you can't deprive this little angel"
    Kimora_neko

Comment by Kimora_neko (original poster) at 3:48 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Then she needs to be punished for throwing her cup. It's unacceptable to throw things even if you don't like what's in it.

Get rid of the chocolate. Use it ONLY when she has been good as a reward or special occasion. She needs to learn that it isn't an everyday normal item.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• "you can't deprive this little angel"

If grandpa cannot abide by YOUR parenting rules, then his time should be limited with her. Sorry but my mom does NOT overrule my parenting rules. She knows that and doesn't argue about it because I AM THE MOM, she is not and if she wants to raise more kids, she can have another on her own.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:51 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• its a grandpa thing, at least with my dad. he knows when not to step over that line and he was the "father figure" for over a year while my DH was deployed.
    Kimora_neko

Comment by Kimora_neko (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Aug. 20, 2010