Does your view of an after life influence how you view abortion?

Personally, I don't understand how it can not, yet, I have seen many people who seem to have contradicting beliefs, which is what makes me ask.

For me, I'm not a fan of abortion. However, I believe in reincarnation, so if someone is aborted, they will simply recycle and get another chance for a physical life. I believe that other options should be explored and that we should focus more on not ending up with an unwanted pregnancy in the first place - BUT, because of my views on death, afterlife and reincarnation, I don't see it as "ending" that person's life or "stopping" them from living. So my views on the two go hand in hand...

It's hard for me to understand how one's beliefs about death and afterlife could not be considered when thinking of abortion, but I know that for some they aren't... What about you?

**Lets not turn this in to a pro-life/pro-choice conversation, just an intelligent discussion...**

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 3:53 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I believe that the soul doesn't enter the body until 20 weeks or so,so I guess going by my theory there would be no reincarnation of aborted babies because they don't have a soul yet.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:55 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I agree with you. I don't view it as the last chance for that soul to live. I believe they will come back at a different time, different place.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:55 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I don't believe in any afterlife, and I don't have a problem with abortion. I don't believe it's a person (at least until late-term) and I don't believe in deities or souls, so...does that correspond with your theory or disagree with it?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I don't believe in reincarnation (but it's a wonderful thought to come back again). I am pro-life but anti-abortion for myself only.

I don't believe that I have the right to decide what another woman does with her body. And if she does choose that, what the consequences are aren't up to me anyway. It's not my job to pass judgement as a Christian.

Sometimes I do pass judgement which reminds me of what I should and shouldn't be doing so I am still learning to walk the path that is set for me.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• No..nothing in my understanding of biblical scripture says aborted babies don't go to Heaven. In fact, my belief in Heaven helps me come to terms with abortion,.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:57 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yes. I just can't really put it into words, and I have been trying for the last 10 minutes.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 3:58 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• No it's my view of life, this wonderful gift we have been given that affects my view on abortion. Unfortunately there are many who don't embrace this gift and squander it.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 4:25 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My belief in heaven (I reject the idea of hell) doesn't effect my stance on abortion. What effects my stance tends to be my beliefs in the sanctity of life in general (yes, I am against the death penalty as well), the equality of all humanity, and feeling a need to stand up for those who cannot stand up for themselves. I believe an unborn child to be a life - that is ALL that matters when it comes to the way I see abortion, and even without belief in God or religion in general, I would still find myself a pro-lifer. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:37 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Now, saying that, I'm not one of the ones to tell people they're wrong, or to picket or anything, lol. I believe that unwanted pregnancy is the problem, and we should focus on that, rather than punishing those who are simply looking for a solution to that problem, even if I find it to be a poor solution. Its not my place to judge, and I can't undo what's already done, so I'd rather focus on finding ways to cut down on the number of unwanted pregnancies rather than fight over abortion - if we work together we may be able to find we can cut the number of abortions by cutting the number of unwanted pregnancy in the first place. I know no one is advocating abortion, we all know the less abortions the better, its just a matter of how to cut down on those abortions that we seem to disagree on, most of the time. But this is something we can agree on, I think - the helping cut down the number of unwanted pregnancies...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:41 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• haha, and you can tell its been a rough day, that hardly made any sense.... forgive me, lol, its been one of those days...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:42 PM on Aug. 20, 2010