Are boxers or boxer mix dogs prone to fatty tumors?

My one year old female boxer mix has a gumball size lump on her left side of neck.. I am concerned did not notice it until last night???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Pets

• It is weird that you ask this question, my boys were watching animal planet earlier and they were talking about this. I really wasn't listening due to my forever multi tasking, but I did hear the vet say that boxers are prone to tumors. The type was not mentioned nor did I hear anything about mixed boxers.

Peace, <>
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 12:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• They are very prone to all kinds of tumors. My sisters exclusively own boxers and have had to spend thousands on each one...and eventually had more than a couple put down. They are an excellent breed and wonderful will children, however, the health issues are large. Good luck
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I know growing up our boxer suffered a few strokes but she never had any kind of tumor that we know of. I have a boxer now and I don't notice anything wrong with him but I did talk to a guy who had a 5yr old boxer and said that they have had many problems with her.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 2:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My dh and I have had boxers in the past. They are the most wonderful dogs. But...we both had problems with tumors, fatty and the bog one called cancer. It is so sad to have such wonderful dogs and have to try and save them to no avail. I used to show them in dog shows many yrs ago. Not sure why this breed is so susceptible to this disease but was told by a judge -vet that it was due to in breeding . HAVE NO IDEA IF IT IS TRUE BUT THEY DO HAVE MANY MEDICAL PROBLEMS. Raised great Danes too and they have their own. Same with Bichons, and other breeds as well. Now we just have mutts, seem to be better off these days. So good luck, they are such great dogs. So I hope your dog escapes the dreaded tumor, cancer problems.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 4:07 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Yup they sure are. I've got two "lumpy dogs". Thankfully all their lumps have been benign and haven't required surgery, but they do get them. Right now Gertie's got one on her head and 2 on her side. Coojie has a few on his sides. But I really can't say enough what INCREDIBLE companion dogs they are and they're fabulous with the kids.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 4:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My sisters one dog had to have her entire toe removed because of a tumor that got all twisted into the joint..as well as another who had them all over in her gums. Various other ones that had many many removed... :o( One of my sisters also had one that had seizures, I wonder if that is anything like the stroke thing mentioned above?
    I hope all of you families enjoy your furbabies for a long long time...
    I myself don't have boxers but have been an auntie to all of the ones mentioned in my posts...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:31 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I'm glad I stumbled on this thread...my husband and boys really want a dog (I'm a cat person) and we had jointly decided that a breed that we could both live with and that would be good for our boys would be a boxer. We're gonna have to reevaluate that decision now.
    Babujai

Answer by Babujai at 11:09 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• white boxers are more prone to cancers and other complications is boxer white?
    monica277

Answer by monica277 at 12:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Get it checked out because Boxers are very prone to getting mass cell tumors that are cancerous and also other tumors. Also, any lump under the skin can be from a cyst, abscess, or a tumor. Boxers are a popular old breed so many of their health problems are known compared to other breeds. Good luck
    Anonymous