Has anyone with a pre existing condition gotten insurance yet?

Curious to know how much it costs in your area. I've heard a policy in Georgia through this group is $12,000 a year, $2500 deductible and 20% co pay and that's a minimum cost.

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 4:04 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• You're right about that. That $17,000 rate is becasue i am part of a group. There is no way i could afford insurance for myself, let alone my entire family if i had to pay for it myself.

We didn't get health care reform, we got a few dumb insurance regulations, that aren't really going to help anybody.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yes. but it is extremely difficult. They even consider pregnancy a pre-existing condition.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:05 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I get my insurance through my employer. I do have a pre-existing condition and my insurance covers my husband and son. I believe the cost of my package is about $17,000, $4000 deductible and no co-pays except perscriptions ($20 at the most).

I am happy with my coverage.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:07 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• That's $17000.00 per year, not per month.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:32 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Until the insurance companies start charging, you don't know what it is going to be.. The state pools are not going to kick in until 2014,and when that happens the will not be aloud to charge a lot more for pre existing. If we had no health care reform someone with pre existing wouldn't have to worry about the cost because they would be screwed with no insurance. If the wimpy democrats didn't give into the republicans we would have universal health care, and we would all have it right now , and we would know the cost. Stop playing a rumor guessing game.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 4:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My grandma has diabetes and she is still not eligible.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:41 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Part of the bill says the insurance companies will not be allowed to charge more for having a pre existing condition. This all won't go into affect until. 2014. So this will help people with pre existing conditions. With no reform there is no help.

So, basically everyone has to pay for one person's preexisting condition? No wonder the states don't want to participate. That seems SUPPER FAIR!! Just so you know, insurance premiums are going up NOW to get prepared for 2014. 

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:58 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• That is supposed to be SUPER FAIR!!

matthewscandi

• Wont be allowed to charge more,BUT,if you cant afford insurance,who is going to pay for it?

I applied for insurance before all this happened and wasnt denied BUT they wanted to exclude my 'issues' from being covered at all or raise my premiums $200 a month more because of it! There is insurance in my state for people who can prove they were denied OR raised premiums if you make under a certain amount of money. Good insurance actually.
    guardmp_MOM

Answer by guardmp_MOM at 2:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Wow, I'm glad you are happy with that through an employer but most would not be able to pay the $1000 a month for the government plan much less your $17000. Good for a few but not many will be helped by this system if they can't afford to pay for it.
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 4:13 PM on Aug. 20, 2010