What is my son's school doing with 4800 pencils?

They asked for each kid to provide 48 pencils. I'm dumbstruck!

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 4:04 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Maybe they meant 4 to 8 pencils??? You should call them and ask if 47 pencils is enough.

laughing

Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• You'd be amazed at how many pencils kids go through. I work in a class with 45 students, each of whom were asked to bring 20 pencils - that's 900 pencils just for our program. And by the end of the year it was next to impossible to find a pencil for the kids to use.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:14 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• 48?! damn that's alot of pencils! lol... i can see a kid going through maybe 24 pencils the whole school year, but then again little kids like to break/lose/play with pencils and they could get lost...
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 4:07 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Holy Crap.... are you kidding me.... we were only asked to bring in 6. Maybe you are the only parent in the class who is required to bring in pencils... maybe there is some mom who has to bring in 30 boxes of crayons... ROFLMAO...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My GOD... My sister is a teacher and the kids must EAT them. They go through a ton of pencils each year! You also have to remember, that not all kids can/will bring all the supplies. So there has to be enough to go around.

She has finally figured out how to keep the kids from losing them though. The first week she makes labels for each kid and attaches them to 12 pencils for each kid. She said it cut down the lost pencils by a huge number!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:10 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• nope,every kids is required to bring the same amount of stuff.

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My daughter is required to bring 36 when she starts school next week.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 4:18 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• There's only 100 kids in the school? LOL! Sorry.
    Kids drop them, the led breaks. And they LOVE to sharpen them. They also like to just break the leds. So yeah, they ask for lots of pencils. They ask for lots of supplies. But Walmart has them for great prices, it's really not that big a deal. It's the clothes shopping that's got me crying!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 6:51 PM on Aug. 20, 2010