Cloth diapering Moms...

My son just turned 1. Im looking into going cloth- figuring better late than never! ;)

Which brand & why? Id like to be able to use gerber cloth diapers on the inside for the liner when we are home- but have more of a disposable liner for when we are out in public. So im not carrying a pooped on prefold all over public...

pinkcicle709

Asked by pinkcicle709 at 4:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I make my own. They are super simple to sew and cost effective. Gerber prefolds are pretty much crap especially for a one year old who pees alot. If you use fleece liners of diapers with fleece inner layer, no need to carry around a poopy prefold, the poo will just "flip" out into the toilet. Even the most nastiest runny breastmilk poos and milk/just starting solid poo will too. I carry a wet bag that zips in my diaper bag (which is really a backpack) and keep it in a different compartment. Sprinkle baking soda in the bottom of your wet bag to control odors. If you have any other questions feel free to message me.
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 4:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I second that the prefolds you buy at your local store are crap!

Try pocket style diapers. They have a waterproof diaper 'shell with a fleece inner. You put an absorbant insert between the 2 layers and it goes on & off just like a paper diaper! Take the insert out for washing - you can just shake it out of the shell into the washer. They also come in 'one-size' / OS with size settings from about 10 - 30 pounds fit.
    Here is a shop that has a couple pockets for sale. The Hyenacart site has hundreds of shops selling diapers in all styles!
    http://hyenacart.com/onestore.php?vid=3858&category=7
    Rik-E

Answer by Rik-E at 4:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• bum genius all in ones. they're about 13 dollars per diaper but the liner and cover is built right into the diaper so you never have to worry about leaks and you just throw the whole thing right in the washing machine http://babycottonbottoms.com/bumgeniusaio.htm
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:29 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I also sew my own and also sell them. There are a bunch of work at home moms that make and sell them.
    teacher312

Answer by teacher312 at 8:51 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I started out using gerber prefolds and thought they worked fine. Then one day I broke down and ordered some Indian Prefolds from online, and WOW, they probably hold twice as much as a Gerber did.

So from personal experience, the Gerbers are OK if that's your ONLY choice, but I highly recommend ordering some from online. I got mine from Green Mountain Diapers, I think.

I use prefolds as the stuffing for my pocket diapers. they work great, and my pocket diapers are made of fleece, making it super easy to just toss poo in the toilet. I carry a wetbag with me, or just a gallon size ziploc bag and throw the soiled diaper in there and toss the whole thing in my diaper pail when I get home. Super easy. Oh and my babysitter AND hubby have NO problems with our diapers--in fact hubby hates disposables now because our son has had diarrhea lately, and a disposable will NOT hold that in, but with cloth its all contained!
    eeyore530

Answer by eeyore530 at 10:52 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• @ crunchy mama- what do you use for water proof cover?
    pinkcicle709

Comment by pinkcicle709 (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I usually use AIOs of pocket diapers, the "cover" is built in. It has a layer of PUL (pronounced "pull" and stands for polyurenated laminate) sewn either on the outside, or next to outside with a decorative poly fabric on the outside. BUT when I DO use covers, I like wool or fleece pull ons. google "katrinas sew quick soaker" for a FREE easy to sew pattern.
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 2:23 PM on Aug. 21, 2010