Store tantrums.. my goodness..

So just thought I'd share - last night I went shopping and promised my almost 3 year old if he was a good listener and behaves while mommy trys on 3 dresses, we could stop at the toy store to play for a bit - needless to say, that did NOT happen, he was banging on the dressingroom walls and doors and mirrors and after the 3rd time I reminded him he needed to be a good listener, I said, Ok no toy store visit tonight then. BAM.. the trantrum started.. screaming as loud as possible.. I found the dress I wanted for a wedding I have tomorrow so no way am I dropping it and leaving with him - so I try to talk to him.. calming, but he just screams louder over my voice, "I WANT TO GO TO THE TOY STORE" WOW... I felt like a SUPER fantastic mother !! Now, this is his nature.. he's extreme in every sense so this is not my first one OR my last.. ugh.. NO question - just wanted to share my JOY :)

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 4:10 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• This is why some species eat their young! (credit Roseanne) LOL! If I can avoid shopping w/ kids in tow, I do. Esp. for clothes! Boring! Even if you bring a snack & an activity- they have the attention span of a gnat! I have left a half-filled shopping cart before when they were acting up. There has to be age appropriate consequences & no 3 or 4 warnings. I tell you once (maybe twice) then that's it. You may feel mean, but setting & keeping those boundaries are the key. Hope they serve alcohol at this wedding- sounds like you could use a drink!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It sounds like you think this is normal behavior, but it wasn't normal for my children and it's not normal for my grandchildren. By the age of 3, your boy should be doing pretty well accepting and obeying his mother's authority. And screaming at you in a public place? You are right in that it is in his nature to do such things, but it is up to you to get that out of his nature and to teach him how to behave both at home and in public. Try practicing at home the tell-him-once and get obedience or he pays the consequences for not obeying. You can stop the tantrums in public as well as the ones at home. Don't just dismiss this as normal childhood behavior. Think of those who were in the other dressing rooms and probably in the store, in general! Think of your child and love him enough to not accept this as normal behavior.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:18 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I hope you got the dress! Have fun at the wedding..............
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:13 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I think our Sons are related!! LOL! Been there, it's not too pretty but after they shake your last nerve loose & you finally get home, they grab another toy and forget the whole thing. Meanwhile, I am a sweaty, shakey bag of nerves. Ahhhhh the toddler years. Gotta Love them!!! :) Have a great night!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:13 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Oh I had the added bonus of him screaming the whole 25 minutes on the drive home and once we got home.... i went upstairs to put the dinner dishes in the sink and walked downstairs to him spraying water on the TV......ugh... I see where alcholism starts lol!! but yes... I DID get the dress woohoo -
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 4:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Been there Dealt with that.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• NO. I think its FAR from Normal behavior or acceptable Behavior - I am at a loss of what to do with him yet - I have read parenting books, taken parenting classes - he is very strong willed and had early signs of ADHD and behavior disorders... I have a niece who only needed to be told one time and was ready and willing to listen and obey - he however, is FAR from like that.. I am far from dismissing it but unless you have had a challenging child, don't for a second think its as easy as getting them to obey or listen to you unless you have been in someone elses shoes.. I was just sharing frusrtation in the hopes i was not alone...
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 4:26 PM on Aug. 20, 2010