Whatever happened to news on the gulf oil spill?!

Do we not care anymore, now that we can't see it on the surface?! Has anyone else noticed that as soon as the well was capped, the constant updates ceased?! Now the "story du jour" is the "Ground Zero mosque!" Is it that the media feels we're incapable of following more than one hot topic issue at a time, or have people already forgotten?!

Well, for those who still care, you might be interested to know that the oil has NOT broken down, like the media and the White House would have you believe. In fact, it is now a 22 mile long by 6 mile wide plume sitting about a half-mile below the surface! Apparently all of the dispersant BP used has caused all of the oil to sink below the surface...out of sight, out of mind?!

http://www.wpxi.com/news/24689101/detail.html

Continued

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 4:13 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• from what i gathered, BO dipped his toes in the sand and surf, and all was well, that ends well, with a capped well. wellifiknow!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• i've heard there is another leak up in Michigan and I live in Northern Indiana and BP has a line out here that is leaking fumes into the air...nice right!
    travisnowensmom

Answer by travisnowensmom at 4:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It's called "the news business". Eventually the story that's at the top of the news gets stale and is replaced by something fresher and hotter.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 4:27 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• it's all over with and cleaned up ...-

LMBO!!!! and i thought i was the one with my head in the sand! come up for air, baby..it is not a done deal, not by any means. omg.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:30 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I live down on the Gulf shore and we get news about it every day including the plume that is still out there. It's pretty obvious that BP is trying to down play it now but it's still there and the damage is still extensive. They are doling out money to help the counties affected but it seems more like they are saying "Look at the good we are doing for your community" by sending us musicians and giving us money to spend at businesses affected by the lack of tourists, more than spending the money to fix the disasterous effects.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• no..he wasn't in maine, lori. my bff suzanne(zanny on CM) wouldn't allow it.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:34 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I think people should focus less on what the MSM spoon feeds them and learn to research things on their own. Both of these events are clusterf@cks. The media is only making it worse because they are not reporting facts on either. Just opinions. People are swayed more by opinions than facts. Personally I am more interested in the oil leak than this GZM (like the abbreviation?) so I spend more time looking for information. I remember how hard it was to find information on Iraq because the MSM feels if they are not talking about it, then it must not be happening.

I think the majority of us are smart grown ups. We can handle the truth, even if it is ugly.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Your first link is broken. I did read the other piece. But I'll repeat...it's not ignored. You're just looking in the wrong spots, I think.

I work in commercial TV on the weekends, and at an NPR affiliate during the week. I notice that the spill disappeared from the commercial TV radar a couple of weeks ago. But as you can see from the NPR links I gave you, it's still VERY much on the public radio radar.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:21 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I got very curious, so I just logged into the CNN Newsource website. That's the video clearinghouse for all the stations that subscribe to CNN for video; hundreds across the country. The last packages (stories wrapped by a reporter) filed were on Tuesday; there were three of them including a 3:19 story by Ed Lavandera reporting that 79 percent of the oil isn't recovered. Since then, just lots of talking head sound bites.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Everything problem in the world cannot and should not be blamed on the white house.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2010