Sore down there? adult content

My 8 year old girl is having problems with her down there area at the moment, probably too much information but she's got what looks like a sort of rash and she complains that it's so sore constantly. I've got her to keep applying cream etc. Anyone dealt with the same problem and got anything that lessens the pain? I'm taking her along to the docs tomorrow hopefully. I know I sound so ignorant on this issue but i haven't really dealt with this sort of thing since nappy rash!

leah_rai

Asked by leah_rai at 4:14 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do take her to the doctor tomorrow. It's hard to treat something if you don't know what it is.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Its ok hon,you can say vulva on here. We all have one! Sounds like a possible yeast infection from bubblebath or soap.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Perhaps she is not wiping the right way. My daughter had problems with this and was always getting UTI'S and then when her doc. asked me how she wiped it was the wrong way. If she is wiping back to front she can be spreading her BM germs to her vaginal area and causing the rash and pain. Try talking to her about wiping from front to back and see if that is what she is doing.
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 4:18 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I'd call the doctor back and ask what you can do to help her. Maybe sitting her in a bath of baking soda could help. If you have Physoderm (sp?) soap, that might help as well.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My 7 year old went through the exact same thing, and we ran her to the doctor for nothing. I was told to stop washing her hair in the tub, and cut out the bubble bath, and use desitin(yes desitin for babies). The desitin cleared her up in less than 3 days. The doctor showed me how to apply it. Also if you take her to the doctor I want to warn you. They will check her for signs of sexual abuse too. The doctor told me if any child come in with any type of discomfort to vagina, it is their job to check, and it was fine I had nothing to hide, but I just want to give you heads up. I believe all hospitals do it now.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My stepdaughter had a rash problem at about the same age. We retaught her how to wipe properly and had her apply baby powder after her baths. You may want to take her to the doctor if it doesn't clear up in a few days, it may have turned into a yeast infection.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 12:31 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• nymommy2boys the pediatrician told me to never use baby powders because it give off yeast infections. He told me to sprinkle baking soda in the water and allow it to dissolve and place her in, then apply desitin.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:02 PM on Aug. 21, 2010