Why do people get so offensive when you have a different opinion then them?

I used to do this but I am stopping. Why if I believe what I believe would I need to defend it? So done doing that. Not everyone has to believe things the way you do. Gee! Venting but I do want some insight. What do you think about it?

tinaandavasmom

Asked by tinaandavasmom at 4:48 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• bump
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• If everyone does not agree that means there is a chance THEY could be wrong and they can't handle being wrong
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 4:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yeah that is true. I am so stopping that immature behavior.
    tinaandavasmom

Comment by tinaandavasmom (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• It is human nature to defend your point.

Answer by older at 4:51 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Some topics are touchier than others- & no one likes to be wrong. I try to tell my kids, different doesn't equal wrong- just different.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:52 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I like that. My husband and I are very different people. We are probably the minority on every topic. So I am quite passionate about some issues. I think a light bulb came on today and I do not feel the need to defend my parenting or choices. I am confident in them and I finally realize how foolish I have been. I guess it is called maturing.
    tinaandavasmom

Comment by tinaandavasmom (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I think people just get so caught up in what they believe that they don't realize how harsh they are sometimes. It can be really easy to do, especially if it starts as a friendly debate. Everyone has that button that they don't like having pushed, even if they haven't realized it yet. Everyone does it at some point, at least once. I try very hard to not be like that because I know that I have before and I've experienced it from other people. And then some people are just really bitchy anyway, so it's nothing new for them to be bitchy about their opinion.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:00 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Yeah I have done that. Just gets me that people think it is ok for them to give their opinion but boy is you do it is war!!! Why can't our opinions coexist? Agree to disagree even.
    tinaandavasmom

Comment by tinaandavasmom (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Aug. 20, 2010