Good indoor activities for 2 & 11 year old?

We have an art easel, so they do plenty of drawing with chalk, crayons, markers, paint. They have tons of toys. We have lots of kiddy movies. But the 11 year old is always saying "IM BORED, IM BORED" unless Im taking them somewhere. I buy him lots of books, but he reads through them sooo quickly. We cant do the board game thing bc my 2 year old wont let it happen. He grabs all the pieces off and knocks over things, lol.. I try to think up new things for us to do, so they're not "bored" by being in the house.. But Im kind of drawing a blank here.. Any advice?

xxMasonsMommaxx

Asked by xxMasonsMommaxx at 4:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• This is the age they either get so spoiled that you don't know them, or you have some magic trick and you need to share,.....NOW!! Haha !!!

I know that if I let them mix stuff like dry beans, and give a spoon, and some other choices of utensils they feel more inventive. Just than it's a question of are they going to eat them. Mine never did at 3 yr. but at 2 it's still a temptation. I'll make a list

Poster paints, bubbles, stacking pots/ pans, plastic bowls, maybe too juvenile ? Well just some type of sifting, or mixing and stacking stuff. My mind is overtime and it's headache time. So I've got big time activity writer's block !!!!!!
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 4:57 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• good luck with this i get the same thing frm my 10 and 3 year old unless were out doing somethign they say there bored
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 4:51 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Send the 11-year-old out in the yard if you can. Kids have to learn how to amuse themselves, it's an important skill for adulthood, when you'll spend an awful lot of time in department meetings and such.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:53 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• He goes out for a few minutes and comes right back in saying hes bored! If its nice out I try to take them to the park, or to friends' house so they can play with other kids. But somedays I have too much cleaning to do or its not nice outside enough to take them places. I tried to tell him that not every minute of life has to be exciting, but it goes in one ear and out the other.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Comment by xxMasonsMommaxx (original poster) at 4:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• LOL, when my cousin used to complain to my uncle that he was bored, my uncle would hand him a shovel and tell him to go dig a hole in the yard. He was an ex-drill sergeant, so that may have been part of it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:01 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Hahah, I like that idea. Dont think the 11 year old would be too thrilled though! I bet it would help with the complaining though, lol!
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Comment by xxMasonsMommaxx (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Aug. 20, 2010