Which one is more resourceful?

I am getting ready to make a dog bed and this is my question: do i stuff it with dh's pants, in good condition on the way to Goodwill, or do I go out and buy batting? I should add that we are broke and I am a recycling freak! So, do I trash a bunch of perfectly good pants i was going to chuck that someone else can use or save myself $?

BluDog

Asked by BluDog at 5:00 PM on Aug. 20, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I would use an old comforter or pillows...I think they would be more comfortable than old pants/clothes! But you could rip the pants up into thick strips and braid the pieces together then knot the ends to make a chew toy! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:04 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Good idea. This dog buries every toy he gets. He's actually in trouble for chewing on furniture so now he is banished to the floor. No more cuddling on the couch. Bad Dog! I want him to be comfy so he will actually stay on his bed.
    BluDog

Comment by BluDog (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Or get some old pillows from Goodwill and use the stuffing from that. Shouldn't cost more than a few dollars, course batting shouldn't be too expensive either. Braiding the pants for a chew toy is a great idea from LoriKeet.

Do you crate the dog when you are gone so he won't chew on anything?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Oh yes I crate the dog when I'm gone. Once I left him out while I ran to the store...never again! That was the chair. This time it was a couch while we watched a movie. Like I said: Bad Dog!
    BluDog

Comment by BluDog (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Goodwill is a tax deduction - so take that into account for your finances.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 6:27 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I'm positive that your dog will LOVE bedding made of clothing from his beloved pack members ! Choose clothing from his favorite people and he'll be in heaven.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:32 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• i'd use the pants and if it doesnt work for you then get stuffin from an old pillow or something.gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Shred the pants, make a chew toy from some, use the other shreds for stuffing.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:04 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I always just make a cover with a strong zipper (about $3) and old used shredded newspaper, bills, clothe, rags, towels etc. This way you can keep changing it out. And more importantly wash the cover very easily. Maybe even make two so you can switch them out and not be in a rush to wash them. When I am really broke and NEED to create I will even sew pieaces of old jeans together to make the cases for pillow etc.
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 11:43 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Why not do both, use your old pants or jeans and the bed, then go to good will and get some old pillows. Stuffing in more comfortable than clothes, but the smell of you pants will make your dog happy.
    xpandyourmind

Answer by xpandyourmind at 3:15 AM on Aug. 22, 2010